CBS12 News Team
- Al Pefley
- Chuck Weber
- Michele Wright
- Gary Widom
- Lynn Gordon
- Lauren Hills
- Peter Schaller
- Jana Eschbach
- Joshua Repp
- Karl Man
- Thomas Forester
CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on Royal Palm Hearing Aid Center in Boca Raton
Story By: Michele Wright / CBS 12 News
BOCA RATON, Fla.-- Every Friday during our 5 p.m. newscast, CBS 12 is proud to spotlight good people doing extraordinary things for others and our South Florida community. This week we continue by introducing you to a very special group of people making a difference in Boca Raton at Royal Palm Hearing Aid Center. The miracle of hearing caught on camera. And it all started with Sondra Sorkowitz, picking up the phone and reaching out to help.
Sondra Sorkowitz, Licensed Hearing Aid Specialist, Geriatric Care Manager
I was working on my computer for my business. I took a break and turned on the TV and there was CBS 12 and you (Michele) were interviewing Michael.
Michael is homeless in Palm Beach County and has received support from Helping Hands Assistance Program.
Sondra: I thought right away he had deaf speech
Sondra works at Royal Palm Hearing Aid Center in Boca. Owned and operated with her husband Mel since 1985. The entire team specializes in audiology and speech pathology utilizing state-of-the-art digital hearing equipment to help patients.
Sondra: And you asked Michael what would you like to have? It was a Hunger Relief story so I thought he would talk about food. He said I need a job, I want to work and would like to have hearing aids
She jumped out of her chair & called the station.
Sondra: I said I just saw a segment on CBS 12 and it was so great. Michael said he needed hearing aids. And we're going to give him hearing aids.
Not only did they donate 2 hearing aids to Michael, they gave him so much more. His confidence and his life back. This after feeling isolated and being unable to communicate. Today thanks to the caring staff, he is a new man...his spirits lifted...on his way to a brighter future. Elissa, is a board certified hearing aid specialist.
Elissa Sorkowitz Lejeune, HAS. BC-HIS- "Volume control...you're going to hear sounds like that...can you hear that?"
Michael: Oh yes
Elissa: And now you'll hear when it's going louder
Michael: Oh that's better oh that's really good
Elissa: This is going to be perfect for you because they fit you great which is what we wanted
With over 20 years experience, Bob Scheppske is a board certified hearing aid at the practice. The entire team, providing some TLC & treatment after several unsuccessful ear surgeries. Our cameras capturing every moment & the miracle of a patient finally hearing after 15 years.
Bob: It's resetting to your comfort level ok? We're gonna hook him back up and run a few more tests. 10 12, yeps 10 12, were going to change the configuration and rerun the test
Michael: (It's) like a new world. ((laugh)) I love you guys for what you've done.
Mel Sorkowitz is the doctor of audiology in their 2 offices in both west and east Boca Raton. He's extremely proud of the business, vision, and the specialized treatment they provide for the hearing impaired.
Dr. Mel Sorkowitz, Doctor of Audiology: Hopefully we've been able to be a life-changer or hope to be a life changer for Michael's life. He's a very intelligent guy. He's well motivated. He hears beautifully with his hearing instruments and he wants to get back into a career path. If we can help in anyway, that's our pleasure believe me. It's like anything else, the earlier we can fix these problems the more success we will eventually have
The team wasn't finished with their generosity, they had another surprise in store for Michael after being fitting with his new hearing aids. An appointment with stylist, Paul Ferraro of Paul Ferraro Tanning & Hair Salon in Boca Raton who cut, styled his hair and fitted Michael with some new clothes. They tell me their next goal is to help him get a job. Michael used to work in theater. Sondra tells me the reason she did this is because when you give back, you get so much in return.
Sondra: There's so much everybody can do to help somebody else.When anybody has the opportunity to do this...it's the best thing you can do
We hope you'll be inspired by this wonderful local story. Continuing globally we will all celebrate World Humanitarian Day, this Sunday Aug. 19th. So be sure to get out in your community, give back in anyway you can with your time and talents and be the change you wish to see in the world. By doing so, you'll inspire others to do the same. Reporting in studio Michele Wright CBS 12 News.
To learn more about Royal Palm Hearing Aid Center click HERE
For more information on The Paul Ferraro Tanning & Hair Salon click HERE
Learn more about World Humanitarian Day, Sunday August. 19th HERE
If you know an extraordinary person or extraordinary people making a positive difference in South Florida, email Michele Wright at email@example.com or submit your nomination on-line below. We'd love to hear about it.
CLICK HERE to fill out a submission form
Friday, February 15 2013, 03:24 PM EST
Extraordinary People Stories
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Strike Out Strokes
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Wellington NICU Dir. of Women & Child Services making a difference
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Local Author's Children's Book for Deaf & Hard of Hearing Let's Hear It For Almigal!
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on the March of Dimes & Miracle Babies Eliana and Danielle
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on Stuart (MACA) March Against Child Abuse
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on 10 yr old Triathlete & Wellington Kids Triathlon
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on the Palm Beach School of Autism
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on Walk to End Lupus Now
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on "Mackanese" Universal 2nd Language
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Treasure Coast Food Bank Wine, Women & Shoes
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Tyler McLellan Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Palm Beach Orchestral Strings Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Chick-fil-A Spirit Day for Bethany Smale
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spady Museum "Ride to Remember" Trolley Tour
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Place of Hope providing a nurturing home for hurting children
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Fraternal Order of Eagles -Delray Beach #4476
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Palm Beach Central's baseball team shows their support for Komen Race for the Cure
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Legacy for FAU College of Medicine Students
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Together We See helping blind & disabled children
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Forgotten Soldiers Outreach
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Pastor Wade's work for 'Food for the Poor'
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Holiday Cheer Year Round with Petals with Purpose
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: American Association of Caregiving Youth
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Meals on Wheels St. Lucie County
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Local Paramedic's Tutoring Program Preps Kids for College
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Speak Up for Kids PBC
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: NOPE Task Force
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Young Boy's Cause for Paws benefits TriCounty Humane Society
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Baseball Star Overcomes the Odds to Pitch NU Season
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: "The Ultimate Sacrifice" PTSD Film
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: David Crohan -Making music by touch
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Young Heroes with Big Hearts
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Race For Faith 5K Run/Walk & 10K challenge
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: King & Queen of Senior Prom
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Brothers In Arms Foundation dedication to Veterans
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Brothers in Arms Foundation dedication to veterans
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: WPB Officer of the Year Shamir Bolivar
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: The Plaza Theatre partners with Beyond Blind Institute
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on Royal Palm Hearing Aid Center in Boca Raton
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: 89 year old Tequesta woman, recognized with 1st Senior Service Award
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Foster kids see brighter future with Cameras for Kids Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: South Florida barber changing lives at the Salvation Army Center of Hope
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Palm Beach fitness instructor overcomes physical challenges, inspires others
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Jupiter couple champion MS Walk with a smile, purpose
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Vero Beach Eagle Scout raises thousands for charity
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Boca couple turns tragedy into triumph, pays it forward
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: KidsSafe Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Professional Firefighters/Paramedics of Palm Beach County
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us!
The Greek's TrifectaPrognostication, travel and women are The Greek's strong suits as well as his vices. Listen as The Greek breaks down the lines on the biggest games of the week for CBS12.
In Your CornerCBS12 News has Florida Gov. Rick Scott "In Your Corner," answering your questions. Ask a question in the Facebook commenting window below or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Town HallWatch the Aug. 23, 2012 town hall meeting on issues affecting South Florida.
Spot CrimeSearch for any crime within a 5-mile radius of your home!
Health Care ReformThe Supreme Court ruling to uphold the Affordable Care Act sparked a new battle. Check here daily for the latest developments, locally and across the country.
Trending with TracyTracy St. George, a South Florida DJ for WRMF, delivers the hottest celebrity news weekly on CBS12's Trending with Tracy.
CBS12 Dolphins ExtraGet the inside scoop on the Miami Dolphins with CBS12's Josh Samuels and Pat Murphy.
Wednesday's Weather KidWelcome to Wednesday's Weather Kid on CBS12's Good Morning South Florida! Here we let middle schoolers produce a "bus stop forecast" each Wednesday. Contact Robin Cross at email@example.com for info on ...
Washington GuardianThe Washington Guardian is an online newspaper committed to providing watchdog journalism from the nation's capital aimed at safeguarding everyday Americans' tax dollars, security and freedoms.
Your Voice. Your Future.As the country faces challenges from federal budget issues to jobs and national debt, your voice is critical to the future.
Waste WatchHow are your tax dollars being spent? Waste Watch tracks whether local, state and federal governments or any groups are using your money wisely...or wasting it.
Top StoriesGet up to the minute information from South Florida and the Treasure Coast in our Top Stories section!
Newscast LinksGet links and contact information from items mentioned in our newscasts!
Tech-XpertsGet tips and advice on everything tech related, from smartphones, gadgets and online security to Twitter topics and Facebook news and tips!
Treasure CoastWatch local news videos and read news stories happening in Treasure Coast!
Palm Beach CountyWatch local news videos and read news stories happening in Palm Beach County!
News TipsDo you have a lead on a good news tip or want to share a story idea? Let us know!
Raw NewsSee the news as it happened, raw and unedited!
CBS 12 News LIVE StreamWatch LIVE CBS 12 newscasts and breaking news as it happens here!
Traffic LinksGet links and information on traffic conditions, rail information and arrival and departure information for PBIA, MIA and FLL!
PBC Mugshot RoundupView a selection of mugshots from the Palm Beach County Jail's portrait studio, via a publicly available online booking search.
Sex Offender MappingSearch for any registered sexual offender or predator within a 5-mile radius of your home!
Product RecallsGet the latest recalls on autos, child safety seats, consumer products and FDA food and drugs recalls!
Forever FamilyWatch videos and read stories of local people and families in need!
The Dwyer Awards
The William T. Dwyer Awards for Excellence in Education honors outstanding educators from public and private schools in Palm Beach County.
Live FeedWatch the CBS News Live Feed for news stories as they happen!
National and World NewsGet the latest headlines from across the nation and around the world.
Pet of the DayWatch our "Pet of the Day" videos for adorable pets that need a loving home!
Pump PatrolFind the lowest gas prices in West Palm Beach, get fuel saving tips, price trends and check out nationwide gas price averages!
Tonight on CBS12