CBS12 News Team
- Al Pefley
- Chuck Weber
- Michele Wright
- Gary Widom
- Lynn Gordon
- Lauren Hills
- Peter Schaller
- Jana Eschbach
- Joshua Repp
- Karl Man
- Thomas Forester
CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Race For Faith 5K Run/Walk & 10K challenge
Story By: Michele Wright / CBS 12
PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla.-- Meet Cindy Martel. She's a very busy mom of two boys...one of which she currently home-schools. Juggling daily activities, Cindy loves working with her husband a dentist in West Palm Beach, Dr. Victor Martel & the caring staff. As a family, their heart and passion is a ministry. An opportunity to help others smile on the inside and out.
Cindy Martel: "I grew up here, I went to school here. High school and college and just love the community. Love South Florida and the family environment. Family is very important our values and being able to serve in our communities".
Cindy tells CBS 12's Michele Wright that her faith in the Lord is her foundation. This Bible verse serving as an encouraging message and life mission.
"And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish." (Hebrews 12:1b-2a, NLT)
"It strengthens me to carry on for my everyday activities whether it's in the practice or doing outreach's or ministries that we're involved in it's my foundation."
Former marathon runners, Cindy & Vic created the Race For Faith 5K Run & Walk & 10K challenge. A fun family event which raises money for charities and combines their love of running.
"Race for Faith® was started in 2003, it was something that was placed in my heart. The first run was in 2004 as has grown each year. Running for so many years for myself, running marathons. It was time to give back. It was time for me to use the gifts that I was given to make a difference."
Every year proceeds go to a local organization and a worldwide organization.
"Local food pantries, urban youth, kids that are in high risk situations., we get word of that need and we try to fill it."
World-wide their efforts have built wells for drinking water and last year, providing 28 animals in Africa along with their team of volunteers. As they grow, you can get involved by volunteering or becoming a sponsor.
"It's always been so important to me, because it's been about that one person. Everybody's going through something. If I could encourage one person that comes out to the race and say look we're all going through something, we're here to help and encourage you."
With a Christ-centered mission and focus, Cindy says the race/walk is open to all. Believers or non-believers. People of all faith's are welcome to come out and enjoy this fun event for a good cause.
"Race for Faith® does a couple of different things. We have you come out to the event. You're running a race for you. It's your self esteem, you're walking. You're getting physically fit but also you're giving back to the community."
Cindy wants her life to inspire others as a reminder that when you give, you get so much in return.
Special thanks to Darren & Jennifer Lincoln for the nomination.
Video courtesy of Paul Frost.
The next race is Saturday, February 23, 2013 at John Prince Park. Race/Walk, donate, volunteer or become a sponsor. The Primary Purpose of the Race for Faith® is to glorify God through physical fitness and making an impact in our community by spreading the "Good News of Jesus Christ" For more information visit their website: http://www.raceforfaith.com/ or connect with them on Facebook HERE
If you know an extraordinary person or extraordinary people making a positive difference in South Florida, email Michele Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet her HERE or submit your nomination on-line below. We'd love to hear about it.
CLICK HERE to fill out a submission form
Monday, April 29 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
Extraordinary People Stories
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: 'The Voice' contestant Michaela Paige, SHINE mentor
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Strike Out Strokes
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Wellington NICU Dir. of Women & Child Services making a difference
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Local Author's Children's Book for Deaf & Hard of Hearing Let's Hear It For Almigal!
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on the March of Dimes & Miracle Babies Eliana and Danielle
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on Stuart (MACA) March Against Child Abuse
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on 10 yr old Triathlete & Wellington Kids Triathlon
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on the Palm Beach School of Autism
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on Walk to End Lupus Now
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on "Mackanese" Universal 2nd Language
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Treasure Coast Food Bank Wine, Women & Shoes
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Tyler McLellan Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Palm Beach Orchestral Strings Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Chick-fil-A Spirit Day for Bethany Smale
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spady Museum "Ride to Remember" Trolley Tour
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Place of Hope providing a nurturing home for hurting children
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Fraternal Order of Eagles -Delray Beach #4476
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Palm Beach Central's baseball team shows their support for Komen Race for the Cure
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Legacy for FAU College of Medicine Students
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Together We See helping blind & disabled children
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Forgotten Soldiers Outreach
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Pastor Wade's work for 'Food for the Poor'
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Holiday Cheer Year Round with Petals with Purpose
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: American Association of Caregiving Youth
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Meals on Wheels St. Lucie County
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Local Paramedic's Tutoring Program Preps Kids for College
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Speak Up for Kids PBC
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: NOPE Task Force
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Young Boy's Cause for Paws benefits TriCounty Humane Society
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Baseball Star Overcomes the Odds to Pitch NU Season
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: "The Ultimate Sacrifice" PTSD Film
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: David Crohan -Making music by touch
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Young Heroes with Big Hearts
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Race For Faith 5K Run/Walk & 10K challenge
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: King & Queen of Senior Prom
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Brothers In Arms Foundation dedication to Veterans
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Brothers in Arms Foundation dedication to veterans
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: WPB Officer of the Year Shamir Bolivar
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: The Plaza Theatre partners with Beyond Blind Institute
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on Royal Palm Hearing Aid Center in Boca Raton
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: 89 year old Tequesta woman, recognized with 1st Senior Service Award
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Foster kids see brighter future with Cameras for Kids Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: South Florida barber changing lives at the Salvation Army Center of Hope
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Palm Beach fitness instructor overcomes physical challenges, inspires others
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Jupiter couple champion MS Walk with a smile, purpose
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Vero Beach Eagle Scout raises thousands for charity
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Boca couple turns tragedy into triumph, pays it forward
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: KidsSafe Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Professional Firefighters/Paramedics of Palm Beach County
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us!
The Greek's TrifectaPrognostication, travel and women are The Greek's strong suits as well as his vices. Listen as The Greek breaks down the lines on the biggest games of the week for CBS12.
In Your CornerCBS12 News has Florida Gov. Rick Scott "In Your Corner," answering your questions. Ask a question in the Facebook commenting window below or email it to email@example.com.
Town HallWatch the Aug. 23, 2012 town hall meeting on issues affecting South Florida.
Spot CrimeSearch for any crime within a 5-mile radius of your home!
Health Care ReformThe Supreme Court ruling to uphold the Affordable Care Act sparked a new battle. Check here daily for the latest developments, locally and across the country.
Trending with TracyTracy St. George, a South Florida DJ for WRMF, delivers the hottest celebrity news weekly on CBS12's Trending with Tracy.
CBS12 Dolphins ExtraGet the inside scoop on the Miami Dolphins with CBS12's Josh Samuels and Pat Murphy.
Wednesday's Weather KidWelcome to Wednesday's Weather Kid on CBS12's Good Morning South Florida! Here we let middle schoolers produce a "bus stop forecast" each Wednesday. Contact Robin Cross at firstname.lastname@example.org for info on ...
Washington GuardianThe Washington Guardian is an online newspaper committed to providing watchdog journalism from the nation's capital aimed at safeguarding everyday Americans' tax dollars, security and freedoms.
Your Voice. Your Future.As the country faces challenges from federal budget issues to jobs and national debt, your voice is critical to the future.
Waste WatchHow are your tax dollars being spent? Waste Watch tracks whether local, state and federal governments or any groups are using your money wisely...or wasting it.
Top StoriesGet up to the minute information from South Florida and the Treasure Coast in our Top Stories section!
Newscast LinksGet links and contact information from items mentioned in our newscasts!
Tech-XpertsGet tips and advice on everything tech related, from smartphones, gadgets and online security to Twitter topics and Facebook news and tips!
Treasure CoastWatch local news videos and read news stories happening in Treasure Coast!
Palm Beach CountyWatch local news videos and read news stories happening in Palm Beach County!
News TipsDo you have a lead on a good news tip or want to share a story idea? Let us know!
Raw NewsSee the news as it happened, raw and unedited!
CBS 12 News LIVE StreamWatch LIVE CBS 12 newscasts and breaking news as it happens here!
Traffic LinksGet links and information on traffic conditions, rail information and arrival and departure information for PBIA, MIA and FLL!
PBC Mugshot RoundupView a selection of mugshots from the Palm Beach County Jail's portrait studio, via a publicly available online booking search.
Sex Offender MappingSearch for any registered sexual offender or predator within a 5-mile radius of your home!
Product RecallsGet the latest recalls on autos, child safety seats, consumer products and FDA food and drugs recalls!
Forever FamilyWatch videos and read stories of local people and families in need!
The Dwyer Awards
The William T. Dwyer Awards for Excellence in Education honors outstanding educators from public and private schools in Palm Beach County.
Live FeedWatch the CBS News Live Feed for news stories as they happen!
National and World NewsGet the latest headlines from across the nation and around the world.
Pet of the DayWatch our "Pet of the Day" videos for adorable pets that need a loving home!
Pump PatrolFind the lowest gas prices in West Palm Beach, get fuel saving tips, price trends and check out nationwide gas price averages!
Tonight on CBS12