Last Update on August 01, 2015 04:36 GMT
UNDATED (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Pirates have picked up an important win as they try to catch the St. Louis Cardinals in the NL Central.
Jung Ho Kang (gahng) hit an RBI double and scored the tiebreaking run on a wild pitch as the Bucs downed the Reds 5-4 in Cincinnati. The game was tied 3-3 in the sixth until Reds hurler Jumbo Diaz uncorked an errant pitch that allowed Kang to score. Starling Marte added an RBI single later in the sixth.
Andrew McCutcheon smacked a solo homer to help Jeff Locke even his record at 6-6.
In other major league finals:
-- Philadelphia won for the 11th time in 13 games since the All-Star break as Domonic Brown hit a two-run homer and Ryan Howard drove in four runs to lead a 9-3 rout of Atlanta. David Buchanan allowed three runs and eight hits in 7 1/3 innings after being called up from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to replace the traded Cole Hamels in the rotation.
-- Mike Napoli belted a go-ahead, two-run homer in the seventh and two other Red Sox had two RBIs in a 7-5 victory against Tampa Bay. Blake Swihart (SWY'-hahrt) slapped a two-run single and Alejandro De Aza added a pair of RBI singles as the Red Sox won their second straight since dropping 12 of 14.
UNDATED (AP) -- The Texas Rangers have completed a deal that sends Phillies lefty Cole Hamels to Arlington, giving the team a stronger rotation as it tries to win an American League playoff berth. The Rangers also received $9.5 million and shipped left-hander Matt Harrison and five prospects to Philadelphia.
Hamels tossed a no-hitter in his last start Saturday against the Cubs, leaving him 6-7 with a 3.64 ERA this year. He is due $22.5 million per season through 2018 with a club option for 2019.
The three-time All-Star is 114-90 with a 3.30 ERA since reaching the majors in 2006. Hamels owns a 7-4 record and a 3.09 earned run average in 13 postseason starts.
In other major league news:
-- The Mets have acquired slugging outfielder Yoenis Cespedes (yoh-EH'-nehs SEHS'-peh-dehs) from Detroit, boosting a lineup that is ranked last or next-to-last in several major categories. Cespedes is hitting .293 with 18 home runs with 61 RBIs in 102 games this season. The Mets sent minor league pitchers Michael Fulmer and Luis Cessa to Detroit.
-- Right-hander Dan Haren has been grabbed by the Cubs from the Miami Marlins. As part of the deal, Miami is sending cash to the Cubs to cover part of Haren's $11 million salary. Haren was 7-7 with a 3.42 ERA in a team-best 21 starts for the Marlins this season.
-- The Orioles have picked up left fielder Gerardo Parra from the Brewers for minor league right-hander Zach Davies. The 28-year-old Parra batted .328 with nine homers and 31 RBIs in 100 games this year. He's a career .279 hitter over six-plus seasons, most of them with Arizona.
-- The St. Louis Cardinals have acquired reliever Jonathan Broxton and cash from the Brewers for minor league outfielder Malik Collymore.
-- The Toronto Blue Jays have kept up their postseason push by acquiring veteran reliever Mark Lowe from the Seattle Mariners for left-handed pitchers Nick Wells, Jacob Brentz and Rob Rasmussen.
-- The Jays have added another productive bat by acquiring outfielder Ben Revere from the Phillies for minor league right-handers Jimmy Cordero and Alberto Tirado.
-- The Pittsburgh Pirates added depth to their rotation by acquiring J.A. Happ from Seattle for minor league pitcher Adrian Sampson. A little while later, the Bucs put struggling starter A.J. Burnett on the 15-day disabled list with inflammation in his pitching elbow.
-- Minnesota has bolstered its bullpen with the acquisition of right-hander Kevin Jepsen from the Tampa Bay Rays for a pair of minor league pitching prospects.
--Left-hander Felix Doubront has been obtained by Oakland from Toronto for cash after he was designated for assignment by the Blue Jays on Wednesday.
-- The Oakland Athletics have traded right-hander Ryan Cook to the Boston Red Sox for a player to be named or cash.
-- The Angels put left-hander C.J. Wilson on the 15-day disabled list with left elbow inflammation
CHICAGO (AP) -- Seven-time All-Star pitcher Billy Pierce has died at 88.
The left-hander played for the Chicago White Sox from 1949 to 1961, starting three All-Star games in the mid-1950s and helping them win the 1959 American League pennant. He was also a member of the San Francisco Giants' pennant-winning team in 1962.
Pierce played for Detroit and finished his 18-year career 211-169 with a 3.27 ERA, 1,999 strikeouts, 193 complete games and 38 shutouts.
NEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL and the players' union say they want a New York judge to resolve their dispute over Tom Brady's suspension by Sept. 4.
The league and union filed a joint letter in U.S. District Court proposing a ruling by that date to settle Brady's lawsuit against the league seeking to have his four-game suspension overturned. The union did not seek a court order that would allow the New England Patriots quarterback to play while a court case dragged on.
The federal judge handling Brady's attempt to overturn his four-game suspension strongly suggested the New England quarterback and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell appear in court on August 12 and 19.
RENTON, Wash. (AP) -- Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson has worked out a contract extension after guiding the team to back-to-back Super Bowl appearances.
Wilson is locked up in Seattle for the prime of his career after signing an $87.6 million, four-year extension on Friday that includes a $31 million signing bonus. Both sides had set a Friday deadline to complete a deal.
Wilson threw for 3,475 yards, 20 touchdowns and just seven interceptions last year.
LONG POND, Pa. (AP) -- Kyle Busch will start from the pole for Sunday's Sprint Cup event at Pocono Raceway as he seeks his fourth consecutive victory. He's trying to become the first Cup driver since Jimmie Johnson in 2007 to win four straight races.
Busch missed the first 11 races of the season with a broken right leg and left foot. He returned in late May and has won three consecutive Sprint Cup Series races and four of the last five.
Kevin Harvick was second in Friday's qualifying, followed by Joey Logano, Austin Dillon and Tony Stewart.
PGA-QUICKEN LOANS NATIONAL
GAINESVILLE, Va. (AP) -- Ryo Ishikawa (ee-shee-KAH'-wah) owns a one-stroke lead over Rickie Fowler and Kevin Chappell through two rounds of the PGA's Quicken Loans Nationals near Washington, DC.
Ishikawa followed Thursday's 8-under 63 with a 68 that leaves him 11-under. He completed his back nine with three straight birdies and four in his final six holes.
David Lingmerth is alone in third at minus-9, while tournament host Tiger Woods is among nine players at 8-under.
WOMEN'S BRITISH OPEN
TURNBERRY, Scotland (AP) -- Suzann Pettersen (PEHT'-ur-suhn) has the 36-hole lead at the Women's British Open. She shot a 3-under 69 to finish the first 36 holes at 7-under.
Teresa Lu, So Yeon Ryu, Jin-Young Ko and Ludia Ko are two shots off the pace.
Michelle Wie (wee) withdrew from the event 13 holes into her second round after aggravating her left ankle injury. Wie was 10 over par for the round.
BLAINE, Minn. (AP) -- Tom Lehman has opened the 3M Championship with an 8-under 64 to grab a three-stroke lead over Grant Waite, Scott Dunlap and P.H. Horgan III in the Champions Tour event.
Lehman had two birdies and an eagle in an early three-hole stretch, added a birdie on the par-4 ninth and closed with three more birdies at the TPC Twin Cities. It was his lowest score since November 2012.
- SIGNING DAY: Harbaugh lures Atlantic's Johnson to Michigan
- SIGNING DAY: Glades Central's Seider signs with West Virginia
- SIGNING DAY: Gators get "big" recruit in Royal Palm's Johnson
- SIGNING DAY: Boynton's Jackson spurns Gators, stays true to Louisville
- SIGNING DAY: Pair of Stallions going to University of Illinois together
- SIGNING DAY: Dwyer's Davis picks Nebraska, Adams sticks with Rutgers
- SIGNING DAY: Downer, Napier, Seminole Ridge duo headline FAU's local catch
- SIGNING DAY: American Heritage champion girls headed to college
- SIGNING DAY: Park Vista's Matulis heading north to University of New Hampshire
- SIGNING DAY: Bozeman headlines stellar signing class from Suncoast
- SIGNING DAY: Gardens duo stay in-state
- SIGNING DAY: Pugh ends long Forest Hill Division 1 drought
- SIGNING DAY: South Fork's Lucky headed to Bowling Green
- SIGNING DAY: Talented group of Vero Beach Indians ink NLI
- SIGNING DAY: Cardinal Newman's Owers to take care of business at Bucknell
- SIGNING DAY: Jensen Beach's Sawtelle inks with South Florida
- Girls Hoops District Tourney: Vero Beach 58 Centennial 44
- American Heritage faces familiar foe for state championship
- Wellington gets blanked in Regional Finals at Flanagan
- St. Thomas Aquinas shuts door on Royal Palm's season
- American Heritage dominates CCC to advance to Citrus Bowl
- Indian Rocks ends Glades Day's season
- Blaze Thompson steps down as Pahokee's head coach
- Royal Palm ready to tackle titan St. Thomas Aquinas Friday
- Wellington preparing for shootout in first trip to Regional Finals
- Playoffs Week 2 Game of the Week: JCS 0 Glades Day 41
- Playoffs Week 2: Clewiston 21 Cocoa Beach 26
- Playoffs Week 2: Vero Beach 28 Manatee 47
- Playoffs Week 2: Atlantic 7 Royal Palm Beach 28
- Playoffs Week 2: American Heritage 23 Westminster Christian 7
- Playoffs Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Wellington 16
- Playoffs Week 2: Glades Central 7 Booker T. Washington 35
- Playoffs Week 1 Game of the Week: Park Vista 29 Wellington 53
- Playoffs Week 1: Chaminade 21 American Heritage 58
- Playoffs Week 1: Dade Christian 0 Glades Day 28
- Playoffs Week 1: Gulliver Prep 13 Glades Central 32
- Playoffs Week 1: Ft. Lauderdale 13 Royal Palm 44
- Playoffs Week 1: Atlantic 21 Blanche Ely 13
- Playoffs Week 1: Palm Beach Gardens 24 Palm Beach Central 20
- Week 11 Game of the Week: Glades Central 23 Pahokee 14
- Week 11: Palm Beach Central 30 Palm Beach Gardens 28
- Week 11: St. Edward's 6 Jupiter Christian 48
- Week 11: Seminole Ridge 26 Royal Palm Beach 42
- Week 11: Jupiter 12 South Fork 33
- Week 11: North Broward Prep 14 Oxbridge Academy 57
- Week 11: Okeechobee 7 Clewiston 44
- Week 11: John I. Leonard 28 Wellington 49
- Week 10 Game of the Week: Wellington 23 Palm Beach Gardens 17
- Week 10: Jupiter Christian 24 Boca Raton Christian 7
- Week 10: Dwyer 22 West Boca Raton 24
- Week 10: American Heritage 48 Cardinal Newman 3
- Week 10: Port St. Lucie 13 South Fork 28
- Week 10: Vero Beach 35 Centennial 0
- Week 10: Royal Palm Beach 42 Palm Beach Lakes 7
- Week 10: Lake Worth 14 Atlantic 33
- PREVIEW: Game Of The Week-- Wellington at Palm Beach Gardens
- Week 9 Game of the Week: Glades Day 7 Clewiston 41
- Week 9: American Heritage (Plantation) 35 American Heritage (Delray) 45
- Week 9: Spanish River 20 Palm Beach Central 40
- Week 9: Palm Beach Lakes 18 Forest Hill 19
- Week 9: West Boca Raton 7 Lake Worth 28
- Week 9: Northwestern 7 Glades Central 17
- Week 9: Boca Raton 14 Park Vista 27
- Week 9: Dwyer 26 Atlantic 37
- (PREVIEW) Game of the Week: Glades Day at Clewiston
- Palm Beach Gardens' Coney picks Notre Dame
- Week 8 Game of the Week: North Broward Prep 6 Oxbridge Academy 44
- Week 8: Palm Beach Gardens 24 Jupiter 7
- Week 8: John I. Leonard 7 Palm Beach Central 17
- Week 8: Forest Hill 6 Royal Palm Beach 35
- Week 8: Lake Worth 7 Dwyer 28
- Week 8: Benjamin 13 King's Academy 49
- Week 8: Santaluces 14 Boca Raton 27
- Week 8: Atlantic 13 West Boca Raton 0
- Week 8: Suncoast 0 Boynton Beach 42
- Week 8: Glades Day 50 Boca Raton Christian 13
- PREVIEW: North Broward Prep vs Oxbridge Academy
- Week 7: Palm Beach Gardens 20 Glades Central 40
- Week 7 Game of the Week: Atlantic 7 Royal Palm Beach 44
- Week 7: Somerset Academy 6 Glades Day 28
- Week 7: West Boca Raton 80 Olympic Heights 3
- Week 7: Dillard 12 Boynton Beach 22
- Week 7: Dwyer 33 Forest Hill 0
- Week 7: Pahokee 44 Boca Raton 27
- Game Of The Week: Atlantic at Royal Palm Beach
- Thursday Night Football: Lake Worth 27 Palm Beach Lakes 16
- Game of the Week: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6: Somerset Academy 0 Glades Central 50
- Village Academy at Boca Raton Christian (preview)
- Week 6: Seminole 24 Palm Beach Gardens 24
- Week 6: Wellington 41 Jupiter 0
- Week 6: Pahokee 14 American Heritage 51
- Week 6: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6 High School Football Blitz Preview
- Week 5 Game of the Week: Glades Day 35 John Carroll 0
- Week 5: Key West 12 Oxbridge Academy 43
- Week 5: George Jenkins 7 Vero Beach 48
- Week 5: Don Bosco Prep 41 Ft. Pierce Central 14
- Week 5: University School 21 Jupiter Christian 14
- Week 5: Palm Beach Central 28 Seminole Ridge 14
- Week 5: Royal Palm Beach 49 Lake Worth 6
- Week 5: Glades Central 41 Suncoast 6
- Week 5: Boca Raton 0 Palm Beach Gardens 31
- Week 5: Stranahan 27 Boynton Beach 54
- Week 5: Olympic Heights 0 Dwyer 53
- Friday Night Blitz Game Of The Week 5: GLADES DAY at JOHN CARROLL (Preview)
- Week 5 Blitz Top 10
- Week 4: Boynton Beach 28 Westminster Christian 10
- Week 4 Game of the Week: West Boca 7 Royal Palm 17
- Week 4: Okeechobee 28 Ft. Pierce Westwood 21
- Week 4: Dwyer 36 Palm Beach Lakes 22
- Week 4: Heritage 34 Jensen Beach 0
- Week 4: Bayside 21 South Fork 6
- Week 4: Martin County 29 Port St. Lucie 13
- Week 4: Jupiter 7 Cardinal Newman 12
- Week 4: Boca Raton 7 Palm Beach Central 14
- Week 4: Atlantic 35 Forest Hill 0
- Game Of The Week 4: West Boca at Royal Palm Beach (PREVIEW)
- District play promises to be wild in 13-7A
- Week 3: Pope John Paul II 7 Benjamin 21
- Week 3 Game of the Week: American Heritage 20 Glades Central 18
- Week 3: John I. Leonard 7 Pahokee 33
- Week 3: South Fork 36 Wellington 45
- Week 3: Moore Haven 0 Glades Day 44
- Week 3: Dwyer 34 Palm Beach Gardens 10
- Week 3: Oxbridge Academy 48 Keys Gate 17
- Week 3: West Boca Raton 37 Palm Beach Central 13
- Week 3: Clewiston 38 Cardinal Newman 20
- Game Of The Week 3: Glades Central at American Heritage
- Week 3: Village Academy 20 Boynton Beach 54
- High School Football Week 3 Preview
- Week 2: Centennial 15 South Fork 24
- Week 2: Olympic Heights 0 Spanish River 23
- Week 2: Royal Palm Beach 20 Pahokee 16
- Week 2: Village Academy 0 Glades Day 27
- Week 2: #theskinny - Boynton's Swain wants to go out on top
- Week 2 Game of the Week: Glades Central 20 Palm Beach Central 0
- Week 2: Suncoast 6 Cardinal Newman 16
- Week 2: Dwyer 41 Jupiter 7
- Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Park Vista 7
- Week 2: Clewiston 43 Immokalee 28
- Week 2: West Boca Raton 38 Wellington 14
- Week 2: Lake Worth 29 Boynton Beach 64
- Week 2: Boca Raton 7 Atlantic 34
- Week 2: Vero Beach 42 Martin County 0
- Week 1: Palm Beach Central 6 Royal Palm Beach 21
- Week 1 Game of the Week: Glades Central 12 Dwyer 7
- Week 1: South Fork 27 Martin County 6
- Week 1: Sebastian River 6 Vero Beach 35
- Week 1: Jupiter 0 Palm Beach Lakes 25
- Week 1: Miramar 14 American Heritage 7
- Week 1: John I. Leonard 0 Palm Beach Gardens 21
- Week 1: Seminole Ridge 21 Boca Raton 25
- Game of the Week Preview: Glades Central vs. Dwyer
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
US wage growth falls to record-slow pace in 2nd quarter
WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. wages and benefits grew in the spring at the slowest pace in 33 years, stark evidence that stronger hiring hasn't boosted pay. The slowdown also reflects a sharp drop-off in bonus and incentive pay.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
BETTY WHITE - CECIL
BEVERLY HILLS, California (AP) -- Betty White is known as a big-time animal rights activist.
ROCKAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- It's not exactly quality time with grandma.
IN THE NEWS: BUSINESSMAN FINDS PHONE AFTER IT FALLS OUT OF PLANE
WICHITA FALLS, Texas (AP) -- A Texas businessman is thanking his technological stars for helping him find his iPhone after it fell out of a plane during a flight from Houston.
Tonight on CBS12
8 PM -- Amazing Race
9 PM -- Hawaii Five-0
10 PM -- Blue Bloods