Last Update on September 30, 2014 03:12 GMT
UNDATED (AP) -- Ron Gardenhire was named American League Manager of the Year the same season A.J. Hinch was fired as skipper of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Today, Hinch got another major league managerial job and Gardenhire got the boot.
The Astros have hired Hinch, less than a month after firing manager Bo Porter. Hinch previously managed the Diamondbacks, recording an 89-123 record from May 2009 until July 2010. The former major league catcher most recently was the vice president of professional scouting for San Diego from 2010 until August.
The Astros introduced Hinch hours after the Twins fired Gardenhire following 13 seasons and six AL Central division titles. The Twins finished first in their first three seasons under Gardenhire and captured back-to-back division crowns in 2009 and 2010. Gardenhire was the 2010 AL manager of the year, but the team has averaged 96 losses the last four seasons.
UNDATED (AP) -- Baseball's post season gets underway tomorrow night in Kansas City as the Royals play host to the Athletics in the American League Wild Card game. The winner of the game advances to the AL divisional playoffs against the Los Angeles Angels.
The pitching for tomorrow night's game is set with Scott Shields taking the mound for the Royals against Oakland's Jon Lester.
On Wednesday, the Giants send 18-game winner Madison Bumgarner to the hill against Edinson Volquez (VOHL'-kehz) and the Pirates in Pittsburgh. The winner gets the Washington Nationals, who host the first two games of their National League Division Series.
Later this week, the Los Angeles Dodgers will take on St. Louis in an NL division series and Baltimore will play Detroit in an AL division series.
NEW YORK (AP) -- Yankees manager Joe Girardi says returning third baseman Alex Rodriguez will have to show in spring training that he can still play. Rodriguez served a season-long suspension for violations of baseball's drug agreement and labor contract. The three-time AL MVP turns 40 on July 27.
Girardi said he expects Rodriguez will be a starter at third but cautioned the team needs him to prove it.
Rodriguez is signed for three additional seasons for a total of $61 million.
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- The Buffalo Bills have benched starting quarterback EJ Manuel. Coach Doug Marrone (muh-ROHN') has announced that Kyle Orton will start Sunday's game against the Detroit Lions. The move comes after Manuel had another sub-standard performance in the 2-2 Bills loss to Houston Sunday. Orton was signed in the offseason as a veteran back-up to Manuel who was Buffalo's first-round draft pick in 2013 and had started 14 games over the past two seasons.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- An autopsy performed one year after Jovan Belcher fatally shot his 22-year-old girlfriend and killed himself found the Kansas City linebacker had signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy. That's the degenerative brain disease found in athletes and others with a history of repetitive brain injuries.
Belcher's mother, Cheryl Shepherd, filed a lawsuit in December alleging her son was subjected to "repetitive head trauma," and that the Chiefs failed to provide adequate medical care before he killed his girlfriend and then committed suicide.
The attorneys for the family released the details of the autopsy.
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- Freshman quarterback Brandon Harris is slated to make his first start when 15th-ranked LSU plays its first SEC road game of the season at No. 5 Auburn this Saturday. Tigers coach Les Miles announced the change in the pecking order after watching Harris lead touchdown drives on nine of his last 10 series in a backup role. Former starter Anthony Jennings had arguably his worst outings of the season over the weekend before Harris entered the game and led seven straight touchdown drives.
LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- Kentucky has suspended four freshmen for Saturday night's SEC game against South Carolina for their involvement with air pistol shots being fired near a residence hall on campus. Running back and Wildcats all-purpose yards leader Stanley "Boom" Williams was suspended, along with backup quarterback Drew Barker, wide receiver Dorian Baker, and defensive end Tymere Dubose. Coach Mark Stoops and athletic director Mitch Barnhart issued a statement Monday night saying the players could face additional internal discipline.
No one was injured Sunday night, but police issued an alert advising people to stay indoors on the Lexington campus as they investigated.
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. (AP) -- Sprint Cup driver Tony Stewart says he never considered retiring from racing following the death of Kevin Ward Jr. The three-time NASCAR champion talked with reporters in his first news conference since a grand jury decided last week not to charge him in Ward's death. The 20-year-old Ward was struck and killed by Stewart's car during a sprint car race in upstate New York on Aug. 9.
Stewart discussed the accident openly and said if the parents of Ward wanted to hear from him he'd be glad to meet with them.
- Week 5 Game of the Week: Glades Day 35 John Carroll 0
- Week 5: Key West 12 Oxbridge Academy 43
- Week 5: George Jenkins 7 Vero Beach 48
- Week 5: Don Bosco Prep 41 Ft. Pierce Central 14
- Week 5: University School 21 Jupiter Christian 14
- Week 5: Palm Beach Central 28 Seminole Ridge 14
- Week 5: Royal Palm Beach 49 Lake Worth 6
- Week 5: Glades Central 41 Suncoast 6
- Week 5: Boca Raton 0 Palm Beach Gardens 31
- Week 5: Stranahan 27 Boynton Beach 54
- Week 5: Olympic Heights 0 Dwyer 53
- Friday Night Blitz Game Of The Week 5: GLADES DAY at JOHN CARROLL (Preview)
- Week 5 Blitz Top 10
- Week 4: Boynton Beach 28 Westminster Christian 10
- Week 4 Game of the Week: West Boca 7 Royal Palm 17
- Week 4: Okeechobee 28 Ft. Pierce Westwood 21
- Week 4: Dwyer 36 Palm Beach Lakes 22
- Week 4: Heritage 34 Jensen Beach 0
- Week 4: Bayside 21 South Fork 6
- Week 4: Martin County 29 Port St. Lucie 13
- Week 4: Jupiter 7 Cardinal Newman 12
- Week 4: Boca Raton 7 Palm Beach Central 14
- Week 4: Atlantic 35 Forest Hill 0
- Game Of The Week 4: West Boca at Royal Palm Beach (PREVIEW)
- District play promises to be wild in 13-7A
- Week 3: Pope John Paul II 7 Benjamin 21
- Week 3 Game of the Week: American Heritage 20 Glades Central 18
- Week 3: John I. Leonard 7 Pahokee 33
- Week 3: South Fork 36 Wellington 45
- Week 3: Moore Haven 0 Glades Day 44
- Week 3: Dwyer 34 Palm Beach Gardens 10
- Week 3: Oxbridge Academy 48 Keys Gate 17
- Week 3: West Boca Raton 37 Palm Beach Central 13
- Week 3: Clewiston 38 Cardinal Newman 20
- Game Of The Week 3: Glades Central at American Heritage
- Week 3: Village Academy 20 Boynton Beach 54
- High School Football Week 3 Preview
- Week 2: Centennial 15 South Fork 24
- Week 2: Olympic Heights 0 Spanish River 23
- Week 2: Royal Palm Beach 20 Pahokee 16
- Week 2: Village Academy 0 Glades Day 27
- Week 2: #theskinny - Boynton's Swain wants to go out on top
- Week 2 Game of the Week: Glades Central 20 Palm Beach Central 0
- Week 2: Suncoast 6 Cardinal Newman 16
- Week 2: Dwyer 41 Jupiter 7
- Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Park Vista 7
- Week 2: Clewiston 43 Immokalee 28
- Week 2: West Boca Raton 38 Wellington 14
- Week 2: Lake Worth 29 Boynton Beach 64
- Week 2: Boca Raton 7 Atlantic 34
- Week 2: Vero Beach 42 Martin County 0
- Week 1: Palm Beach Central 6 Royal Palm Beach 21
- Week 1 Game of the Week: Glades Central 12 Dwyer 7
- Week 1: South Fork 27 Martin County 6
- Week 1: Sebastian River 6 Vero Beach 35
- Week 1: Jupiter 0 Palm Beach Lakes 25
- Week 1: Miramar 14 American Heritage 7
- Week 1: John I. Leonard 0 Palm Beach Gardens 21
- Week 1: Seminole Ridge 21 Boca Raton 25
- Game of the Week Preview: Glades Central vs. Dwyer
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
FAA chief orders review Chicago air traffic snarl
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The head of the Federal Aviation Administration says he's ordered a review of the agency's security protocols and how it deals with unexpected incidents.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
VENICE, Italy (AP) -- He's been one of the world's most eligible bachelors -- and had vowed for decades that he wouldn't take the plunge again.
POT BUST-YOUTUBE TIP
LAS VEGAS (AP) -- It's the high-tech equivalent of dropping a dime.
IN THE NEWS: EUROPE TO EASE RULES ON PORTABLE ELECTRONICS IN FLIGHT
BERLIN (AP) -- Imagine being on a flight -- without having to hear the dreaded announcement that you have to stow your portable electronics or refrain from making cell phone calls.
Tonight on CBS12
8 PM -- Big Bang Theory
8:30 PM -- Big Bang Theory
9 PM -- Scorpion
10 PM -- NCIS: Los Angeles