Park Vista Cobras hard at work
Last season, the Park Vista football team ran the table in the regular season, only to suffer a heartbreaking loss to Palm Beach Gardens in the playoffs. As spring practice continues, the Cobras are working hard to one up last season.
Tuesday, May 15 2012, 09:01 PM EDT
Last Update on May 19, 2013 00:42 GMT
BALTIMORE (AP) -- The wait for a Triple Crown winner has been extended.
Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens rode 15-to-1 shot Oxbow to a wire-to-wire victory in the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico. It's the sixth Preakness victory for Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas, who said after the race that "I get paid to spoil dreams." Oxbow covered the mile and 3/16ths in 1:57.54 and paid $32.80 to win after finishing sixth in the Kentucky Derby.
It's the third Preakness win for the 50-year-old Stevens, who came out of a seven-year retirement this year. He guided Oxbow to a three-length victory over Itsmyluckyday, with Mylute finishing third.
Kentucky Derby winner Orb went off at 3-5 but was boxed in along the backstretch after starting from the rail. Orb finished fourth, which will stretch throroughbred racing's Triple-Crown drought to 36 years.
There has not been a Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978.
UNDATED (AP) -- The Detroit Red Wings have snared home-ice advantage from the top-seeded Chicago Blackhawks in the NHL's Western Conference semifinals.
Brendan Smith scored the game-winner and Jimmy Howard needed to make just 19 saves as the Wings beat the Hawks 4-1 in Game 2. Chicago held a 1-0 lead until Damien Brunner scored 2:40 into the second period. Smith put the Red Wings ahead to stay with 3:52 left in the middle stanza.
Johan Franzan and Valtteri Filppula (val-TEHR'-ee FIHL'-puh-luh) provided third-period goals, and Henrik Zetterberg had two assists for the Red Wings.
Patrick Kane finally notched his first goal of the playoffs after leading the Blackhawks in scoring during the regular season.
Game 3 is Monday in Detroit, where the Red Wings are 3-0 in the postseason.
NEW YORK (AP) -- The NHL has fined the Sharks $100,000 for general manager Doug Wilson's public comments about forward Raffi Torres' suspension. The league said the fine was issued for violation of rules prohibiting formal team statements to the media during the 48-hour period following a disciplinary decision.
Torres was suspended for the rest of San Jose's second-round playoff series against Los Angeles on Thursday for an illegal check to the head of Kings forward Jarret Stoll during Game 1.
OTTAWA (AP) -- The Ottawa Senators will have Jason Spezza (SPET'-suh) back in the lineup on Sunday for Game 3 of the Eastern Conference series against Pittsburgh. Spezza hasn't played since Jan. 27 due to back surgery for a herniated disc.
The Senators need him back on the ice as they trail Pittsburgh 2-0 in their Eastern Conference playoff series.
UNDATED (AP) -- The Cleveland Indians stayed hot by manufacturing their second straight walk-off win this afternoon.
Mark Reynolds brought home the winning run on a fielder's choice in the bottom of the ninth as the Indians came away with a 5-4 win over Seattle. Reynolds also hit a solo homer and had three RBIs in Cleveland's 16th victory in 20 games.
Jason Kipnis scored the winning run just a night after hitting a game-winning, three-run homer in the 10th.
Also in the majors, the Yankees are 8-1 versus Toronto following a 7-2 victory in the Bronx. Robinson Cano (kan-OH') smacked a pair of two-run homers as the Yankees beat the Jays for the ninth straight time at Yankee Stadium.
Matt Joyce hit a go-ahead, two-run double while Tampa Bay was scoring six times in the ninth to beat the Oriolers 10-6. Joyce also homered and was 3-for-5 with five RBIs against the Orioles, who had won a team-record 109 straight games when leading after seven innings.
The White Sox's four-game winning streak is over after Alberto Callaspo (ky-AHS'-poh) belted a three-run homer during a fifth-run seventh that lifted the Los Angeles Angels past Chicago 12-9. Callaspo also lifted a pair of sacrifice flies and Mark Trumbo went deep as part of the Angels' 17-hit assault.
Joey Votto (VAH'-toh) was 4-for-4 with a pair of walks, a two-run homer and two runs scored as Cincinnati cruised to its seventh victory in eight games, 10-0 at Philadelphia. Ryan Hanigan added a three-run homer to back Bronson Arroyo, who struck out six and scattered five hits over 7 2/3 innings.
The Cubs won for the fifth time in seven games by downing the Mets 8-2. Scott Feldman pitched shutout ball into the seventh inning and hit a two-run double in his fourth straight win.
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Ed Carpenter has bested IndyCar racing's big-name teams by claiming his first 500 pole during the "Fast Nine" qualifying session for the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Carpenter's four-lap average of 228.762 mph in the No. 20 Chevrolet held off such marquee outfits as Team Penske and Andretti Autosport, who combined to claim the next eight spots.
Andretti drivers Carloz Munoz, Marco Andretti and E.J. Viso took the next three spots.
Carpenter is the stepson of IndyCar founder Tony George.
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- Carl Edwards starts from the pole for NASCAR's All-Star race tonight at Charlotte Motor Speedway after posting a qualifying speed of 145.556 mph yesterday. Dale Earnhardt was second in qualifying to earn a spot in the front row, just ahead of Kurt Busch and Greg Biffle.
Martin Truex Jr. took the Sprint Showdown pole at 193.424 mph and is joined on the front row by Jamie McMurray. Juan Pablo Montoya and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. make up Row 2.
SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Seven-time Pro Bowler Dwight Freeney has agreed to a two-year contract with San Diego. The deal to bring Freeney to the Chargers came four days after outside linebacker Melvin Ingram tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during a pad-less practice. Freeney is 33 and entering his 12th season. He is the Colts' career sacks leader with 107 1/2.
PGA-BYRON NELSON CHAMPIONSHIP
IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Midway leader Keegan Bradley remains on top of the leaderboard after three rounds of the PGA's Byron Nelson Championship near Dallas. Keegan shot a 2-under-68 in round three to take a one shot lead after 54 holes of play. He stands 13-under par while Sang-Moon Bae is 12-under after a third round 4-under-66.
Tom Gillis is two back of Bradley at 11-under after a 67.
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!