Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
WEST PALM BEACH -- Tonight, we "wrap up" our previews with a look at Lake Worth High School. Coach Eric Lowe is back for his 9th-season at the helm for the Trojans.
With QB Evan Moore graduated, Coach Lowe will turn to Lewis Pagaro to lead the offense. Lake Worth "returns" 5-starters on offense and 5 on defense.
Lowe says it will be a challenge to top last year's record 4-6 record.
Thursday, August 30 2012, 08:50 PM EDT
Last Update on May 26, 2013 02:36 GMT
UNDATED (AP) -- Tuukka Rask (TOO'-kah rask) stopped 28 shots, Gregory Campbell scored twice and the Boston Bruins beat the New York Rangers 3-1 in Game 5 to advance to the Eastern Conference finals.
Recent call-up Torey Krug scored his fourth goal of the series for Boston, which reached the third round of the NHL playoffs for the second time since 1992. The other was 2011, when the Bruins won the sixth Stanley Cup in franchise history.
The Bruins will face the Pittsburgh Penguins for the right to play for the Stanley Cup.
The Chicago Blackhawks are leading Detroit 4-1 late in a must-win game for the Blackhawks. Chicago had a great regular season but faces elimination tonight with a loss on the home-ice. The Wings took a 3-1 series lead in their Western semifinal with a 2-0 win Thursday. After dropping the first game in Chicago, the Red Wings have won three straight.
PHOENIX (AP) -- The NHL has approved the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to a group of Canadian-led investors.
Two people familiar with the deal tell The Associated Press that the deal is contingent on the group reaching a lease agreement with the city of Glendale, Ariz. They said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, deputy commissioner Bill Daly and the prospective buyers will meet with Glendale officials on Tuesday for talks on a lease.
The NHL bought the Coyotes out of U.S. Bankruptcy Court in 2009 and has tried without success to find a buyer who would keep the team in Glendale.
UNDATED (AP) -- Joe Mauer homered and had three hits, helping the Minnesota Twins snap a 10-game losing streak with a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Tigers.
Mauer had already earned the ire of Detroit fans when he broke up Anibal Sanchez's no-hit bid in the ninth inning Friday night. He was booed when came to bat in the first inning Saturday -- then booed some more after his solo homer to right field.
The Twins scored three runs in the first, and that was enough. P.J. Walters to earn his first victory.
In other baseball:
-- Todd Frazier drove in a pair of runs with a sacrifice fly and a single, and the Cincinnati Reds used another big inning to beat the Chicago Cubs 5-2 for their fifth straight victory.
----Angel Pagan (pah-GAHN') hit a game-ending two-run inside-the-park home run to give the San Francisco Giants a 6-5 win over Colorado.
---- Lyle Overbay homered with two outs in the 11th inning, and the New York Yankees rallied past the Tampa Bay Rays 4-3.
---- Atlanta beat the New York Mets 7-5 in 10 innings of a game suspended from the night before. Dan Uggla hit an RBI single in the 10th inning.
---- The Angels are hot and the Royals are not. In Kansas City the Angels beat the Royals 7-0 giving L.A. a seven-game winning streak. During the streak the Angels have dominated opponents, outscoring them by a combined 54-18. The slumping Royals have lost 15 of 19, including seven straight at home. They have scored three runs or fewer in 12 of those defeats.
-- In Toronto the Orioles won for the fourth time in five games with a 6-5 win over the Blue Jays. Danny Valencia hit a two-run homer and Adam Jones added a solo shot for the Orioles who beat R.A. Dickey. Baltimore leads the majors with 68 home runs this season, including nine in the past three games. Dickey, last year's National League Cy Young Award winner with the Mets, fell to 4-6 on the season. Freddy Garcia got the win, his first against two losses.
-- Pinch-hitter Mike Carp drove in the tying run with an eighth-inning double and then scored on a double by Dustin Pedroia (peh-DROY'-uh) as the Red Sox rallied for a 7-4 victory over Cleveland. The Red Sox scored four times off reliever Vinnie Pestano, who took over with Cleveland leading 4-3 in the eighth.
---- Pittsburgh whacked Milwaukee 5-2. Pedro Alvarez hit two home runs, and Andrew McCutchen also went deep.
---- Conor Gillaspie hit a run-scoring single in the ninth inning to score Dewayne Wise, lifting the Chicago White Sox to a 2-1 win over Miami.
----Philadelphia trimmed Washington 5-3. Delmon Young singled home the go-ahead run in a two-run eighth inning rally off Drew Storen for the Phils.
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- The Yankees have placed outfielder Curtis Granderson on the 15-day disabled list with a broken knuckle on his left pinky finger. He suffered the injury in Friday's game against the Rays when he was hit by a pitch from Cesar Ramos in the fifth inning. Manager Joe Girardi says Granderson could be out a minimum of four weeks.
TORONTO (AP) -- Right-hander Pedro Strop is on Baltimore's 15-day disabled list with a strained lower back. He was a key part of Baltimore's bullpen during last year's playoff season, when he went 5-2 with a 2.44 ERA in a career-high 70 games. Strop has struggled this year, going 0-2 with a 6.11 ERA in 22 games.
MEMPHIS (AP) -- Playing in front of their own fans the Memphis Grizzlies are looking tonight to get their first win against the Spurs in the NBA's Western Conference final. So far, so good for the Grizzlies. Memphis is leading San Antonio 44-40 at the half.
Being down 2-0 isn't new to the Grizzlies as they trailed the Clippers by that margin before roaring back to take the series in six games and advance against the Spurs.
The challenge now is tougher because no NBA team has won two series in the same postseason after trailing 0-2.
Game 4 in the series will be played Monday in Memphis.
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Matt Kuchar (KOO'-char) has the lead after three rounds of the PGA's Colonial. He shot a 1-under-69 to finish 11-under par. Four players are in the clubhouses at 10-under. The group includes Chris Stroud, Matt Every, Boo Weekley and Graham DaLaet.
PARADISE ISLANDS, Bahamas (AP) -- Paola Moreno of Colombia played another bogey-free round on a 12-hole golf course and takes a one-shot lead in the Bahamas LPGA Classic.
Moreno has a one-shot lead over Lindsey Wright. Cristie Kerr was among 10 players within three shots of the lead, though they won't have as many holes to make up ground.
Because of flooding on the Ocean Club earlier in the week, the tournament is three rounds of 12 holes. The goal is to get in 36 holes by Sunday to make it official.
SENIOR PGA CHAMPIONSHIP
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Kenny Perry had an eagle, five birdies and four bogeys, in shooting a 3-under 68 and has a two-stroke lead after the third round of the Senior PGA Championship.
The 52-year-old Perry is trying for an elusive first major championship. He has a two-shot lead over two-time champion Jay Haas. Lefty Russ Cochran was three strokes back
FORMULA ONE-MONTE CARLO
MONTE CARLO, Monaco (AP) -- The most glamorous event on the Formula 1 circuit is Sunday in Monte Carlo and Nico Rosberg will start from the pole. It's the Monaco Grand Prix (pree) and Rosberg finished ahead of Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in qualifying. Three-time defending series champion Sebastian Vettel was the third fastest qualifier with Red Bull teammate Mark Webber fourth.
This is the legendary race that runs through the streets of the city.
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- Kyle Busch raced to his sixth Nationwide Series victory of the season and record seventh career win at the 1.5-mile Charlotte Motor Speedway. He also was Truck Series winner at the track last week, his fifth victory in that circuit at Charlotte.
On Sunday, he looks to make it a clean sweep of all three series events with a win in the Coca-Cola 600. Denny Hamlin is the pole-sitter on Sunday.
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!