Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
Story by John Evenson / CBS 12 Sports
Our first Game of the Week of the season features a match-up that is highly regarded as the best in the east against the best in the west. Both the Dwyer and Glades Central football teams are well known for consistently producing BCS and NFL stars, and there is no shortage of talent on the teams entering this season. Both teams consider anything less than a State Championship as a disappointment.
In my eyes its a good way to start the season, says Glades Central running back Jerry Jones, because in the playoffs well be playing tougher teams than this, so its a good way to get prepared.
You know theyre gonna come to play, says Glades Central head coach Roosevelt Blackmon, because theyve got a chip on their shoulders.
That chip on Dwyers shoulder in courtesy of a 44-13 Kickoff Classic loss to Miami Central this past Saturday. The Panthers were not happy about giving up 175 yards worth of penalties, and they turned over the ball too much for their liking.
We gave up plays against Miami Central, agrees Dwyer head coach Jack Daniels, two pass plays, and were not like that. We dont usually do that, but Glades Central will exploit you in the same way.
Wednesday, August 28 2013, 02:02 PM EDT
Last Update on August 28, 2014 22:38 GMT
NEW YORK (AP) -- Acknowledging he "didn't get it right" with a two-game suspension for Ravens running back Ray Rice, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (guh-DEHL') has announced tougher penalties for players accused of domestic violence. The new sanctions include a six-week suspension for a first offense and at least a year for a second.
In a letter sent to all 32 team owners Thursday and obtained by The Associated Press, Goodell never mentions Rice by name but makes clear references to the Baltimore player who was charged with assault after being caught on video dragging his then-fiancee off a casino elevator.
Goodell told teams to distribute the memo to all players in which he says domestic violence and sexual assault are wrong, illegal and have no place in the NFL.
NEW YORK (AP) -- Dimitri Patterson disputes the New York Jets' version of his mysterious absence. The suspended cornerback says in a statement to ESPN that the Jets' claims that he went missing for 48 hours without notifying the team are "completely false."
Patterson was suspended Tuesday for the rest of the preseason after the Jets say he left the team and went missing last Friday night before the preseason game against the Giants.
CLEVELAND (AP) -- A person familiar with Josh Gordon's situation says the suspended wide receiver wants to play in the Canadian Football League, but is prohibited from doing so. Under CFL rules, a player suspended by the NFL and under contract is not eligible to play in Canada. But of the Cleveland Browns released Gordon, he would be able to play elsewhere.
Gordon's suspension for another violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy was upheld. The person familiar with the 23-year-old Pro Bowler's situation said he wanted to play for Calgary, and Gordon asked the Browns for permission.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the talks.
Gordon is not permitted to be with the Browns during his season-long suspension. His eligibility for reinstatement will be determined after the 2014 season.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Tony Stewart will return to Sprint Cup competition Sunday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway. That will end a three-race hiatus taken after he struck and killed a fellow driver during a dirt-track race.
The three-time NASCAR champion has not raced since his car hit Kevin Ward Jr. at an Aug. 9 sprint car event in New York. Stewart pulled out of the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen the next morning, then skipped races at Michigan and Bristol Motor Speedway.
Stewart, who was described by police as "visibly shaken" the night of Ward's death, has been in seclusion ever since.
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Southern California coach Steve Sarkisian (sahr-KEE'-zee-an) says he shares blame with the athletic department for publicizing cornerback Josh Shaw's bogus story about injuring his ankles while saving his nephew from drowning. Sarkisian also said that the suspended Shaw could "potentially" return to the Trojans at some point this season.
The first-year coach also says Shaw still hasn't told the Trojans exactly how he sprained both of his ankles last weekend.
UNDATED (AP) -- There are three top-25 college football games tonight including a match-up of rated teams as number-nine South Carolina takes on number-21 Texas A&M. The other contests have number-18 Mississippi taking on Boise State in Atlanta and 19th-rated Arizona State facing Weber State.
UNDATED (AP) -- Alex Avila hit an RBI single with two out in the bottom of the ninth, giving the Detroit Tigers a 3-2 victory over the New York Yankees. The victory moved Detroit into a tie with idle Seattle for the second wildcard spot in the American League.
Phil Coke improves to 2-2 with the win.
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Billy Hamilton stole his 51st base and the Cincinnati Reds swiped six in all, in a 7-2 win over the Chicago Cubs. Zack Cozart and Todd Frazier each stole twice, and Kristopher Negron added one more.
The Reds stole six times in the first four innings, using six hits and four walks to build a 6-0 lead against loser Jake Arrieta.
Cincinnati stole three in a three-run second inning and two in a three-run fourth.
Cubs rookie Jorge Soler doubled and singled in his second major league game and drove in a run. He homered and singled in his debut on Tuesday.
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
US economy grew at brisk 4.2 pct. rate in Q2
WASHINGTON (AP) -- After a bleak start to the year, the U.S. economy rebounded vigorously in the April-June quarter, growing at a brisk annual rate of 4.2 percent, slightly faster than first estimated.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
"COPS" CREW MEMBER KILLED
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- A tragedy involving the long-running TV show "Cops."
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) -- High Times magazine isn't very high on the High Time Station pot shop.
IN THE NEWS: TIME WARNER INTERNET SERVICE OUTAGE
NEW YORK (AP) -- For hours, most of the people who had Time Warner Cable -- weren't able to surf the Internet using Time Warner Cable.
Tonight on CBS12
8:30 PM -- The Millers
9 PM -- Two and a Half Men
9:30 PM -- The Crazy Ones
10 PM -- Elementary