Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
Story by John Evenson / CBS 12 Sports
Our first Game of the Week of the season features a match-up that is highly regarded as the best in the east against the best in the west. Both the Dwyer and Glades Central football teams are well known for consistently producing BCS and NFL stars, and there is no shortage of talent on the teams entering this season. Both teams consider anything less than a State Championship as a disappointment.
In my eyes its a good way to start the season, says Glades Central running back Jerry Jones, because in the playoffs well be playing tougher teams than this, so its a good way to get prepared.
You know theyre gonna come to play, says Glades Central head coach Roosevelt Blackmon, because theyve got a chip on their shoulders.
That chip on Dwyers shoulder in courtesy of a 44-13 Kickoff Classic loss to Miami Central this past Saturday. The Panthers were not happy about giving up 175 yards worth of penalties, and they turned over the ball too much for their liking.
We gave up plays against Miami Central, agrees Dwyer head coach Jack Daniels, two pass plays, and were not like that. We dont usually do that, but Glades Central will exploit you in the same way.
Wednesday, August 28 2013, 02:02 PM EDT
Last Update on October 20, 2014 10:35 GMT
UNDATED (AP) -- Peyton Manning has added his name to another NFL record.
Manning has broken Brett Favre's career mark for touchdown passes by tossing four more in the Denver Broncos' 42-17 rout of the San Francisco 49ers. Manning was two behind Favre's record of 508 when he began the game and was two ahead when it ended. Demayrius (deh-MAR'-ee-uhs) Thomas caught the record-breaking pass late in the first half, Manning's third TD throw of the night.
Manning was 22 of 26 for 318 yards and no interceptions.
Thomas had eight receptions for 171 yards and two touchdowns, and Ronnie Hillman ran for 74 yards and a pair of scores as the Broncos improved to 5-1.
The Niners are 4-3.
Also in the NFL:
-- DeMarco Murray ran for 128 yards and Tony Romo threw for three touchdowns in the Cowboys' sixth straight win, 31-21 over the New York Giants. Murray became the first player in NFL history to have at least 100 yards in his first seven games of a season, breaking Jim Brown's 56-year-old record. Murray also scored on a one-yard plunge that put the Cowboys ahead 28-14 in the final period. The Cowboys are 6-1 for the first time since their 12-1 start in 2007. Eli Manning had three touchdown passes for the Giants, who are 3-4 following back-to-back losses to division rivals.
-- The Rams used a heavy dose of trickery in a surprising 28-26 win over Seattle. Punter Johnny Hekker's pass from the St. Louis 18 caught the Seattle Seahawks by surprise for the last of three big plays. Stedman Bailey had a 90-yard touchdown on a trick return that fooled the Seahawks into thinking another player was going to catch the punt. Benny Cunningham's 75-yard kickoff return set up an early touchdown for the 2-4 Rams. The defending Super Bowl champs fell to 3-3 despite Russell Wilson, who rushed for 106 yards on seven carries and also passed for two touchdowns while going 23 for 36 for 313 yards.
-- Carson Palmer threw two touchdown passes in his return to Oakland and finished with 253 yards in Arizona's 24-13 victory over the Raiders. Stepfan Taylor caught one touchdown and ran for another to help the Cardinals improve to 5-1, their best start since 1976. Andre Ellington gained 160 yards from scrimmage against the 0-6 Raiders. Oakland is off to its worst start since dropping their first 13 games in 1962, the year before late owner Al Davis joined the franchise.
-- Elvis Dumervil (DOO'-mur-vihl) and Pernell McPhee each had two sacks and Baltimore's defense didn't allow a point over the first 3 1/2 quarters of a 29-7 win over Atlanta. Joe Flacco threw for 258 yards and two touchdowns, including a game-clinching, 39-yard TD pass to Torrey Smith with 1:46 left. Ryan lost a fumble and completed 29 of 44 passes for 228 yards as the Falcons sunk to 2-5 while the Ravens moved to 5-2.
-- Aaron Rodgers threw three touchdown passes and the Green Bay Packers reached the end zone on their first three possessions on the way to a 38-17 romp over Carolina. Rodgers had 255 passing yards in just over three quarters, with Randall Cobb making six receptions for 121 yards and a TD. Jordy Nelson opened the scoring with a 59-yard scoring grab for the 5-2 Packers, who dropped the Panthers to 3-3-1.
-- Cincinnati is 0-2-1 since a 3-0 start after Andrew Luck threw two touchdown passes and Ahmad Bradshaw scored two TDs in the Colts' fifth straight win, 27-0 over the Bengals at Indianapolis. Luck finished 27 of 42 for 344 yards for the Colts, who rolled up 506 total yards and caused the Bengals to punt a team record-tying 11 times. The Bengals were shut out for the first time since the end of the 2009 season.
-- Jacksonville picked up its first win of the season as Denard Robinson ran for a career-high 127 yards and a touchdown in a 24-6 pounding of Cleveland. The Jaguars ran 35 times for 185 yards in earning their first victory in nine games since last year. The Browns fell to 3-3, compiling just 69 rushing yards after entering the game with the NFL's third-best ground attack.
-- Ryan Tannehill was 25 of 32 for 277 yards and two touchdowns in leading the Miami Dolphins to a 27-14 victory over the Bears in Chicago. He found tight end Charles Clay for 13-yard score and added a 10-yard TD pass to Mike Wallace in the back of the end zone, both coming in the first half. Jay Cutler threw an interception and lost a fumble as Chicago dropped to 0-4 when he throws at least one pick.
-- Buffalo pulled out a 17-16 win over Minnesota on Kyle Orton's two-yard touchdown pass to Sammy Watkins with one second left. The TD capped a 15-play, 80-yard drive that Orton extended by converting a fourth-and-20 with a 24-yard pass to tight end Scott Chandler over the middle. The 4-3 Bills snapped a two-game home losing streak and improved to 3-0 this season against NFC North opponents despite playing without injured running backs Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller in the second half. Teddy Bridgewater went 15 of 26 for 157 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions as the 2-5 Vikings lost their third in a row.
-- Matthew Stafford threw two touchdown passes in the final 3:38, including the winner to Corey Fuller with 1:48 remaining in Detroit's 24-23 comeback win against New Orleans. The rally began with Golden Tate grabbed a 73-yard scoring reception from Stafford, who had 229 yards through the air for the 5-2 Lions. Glover Quin lifted Detroit with a crucial interception that set up the winning score and dropped the Saints to 2-4.
-- Kansas City is 3-3 after Cairo Santos kicked a 48-yard field goal with 21 seconds left to give the Chiefs a 23-20 triumph at San Diego. Alex Smith completed three straight passes for 53 yards on the winning drive, including a 29-yarder to Dwayne Bowe. Jamaal Charles scored once and gained 95 yards to give him 6,113 for his career, moving him to the top of Kansas City's career list. Philip Rivers was 17 of 31 for 205 yards and two touchdowns for the 5-2 Chargers, who ended a five-game winning streak.
-- Kai Forbath hit a 22-yard field goal as time expired to kick Washington past Tennessee 19-17. Colt McCoy completed 11 of 12 passes for 128 yards and a touchdown after starting quarterback Kirk Cousins was benched at halftime. McCoy's first pass was a career-long 70-yard touchdown to Pierre Garcon (gahr-SOHN') after Washington trailed 10-6. Both teams are 2-5.
UNDATED (AP) -- The SEC continues to dominate the new Associated Press Top-25 poll. Four of the top-five spots are SEC schools this week with all four schools coming from the western conference.
Mississippi State stayed No. 1 after a weekend off, followed by Florida State of the Atlantic Coast Conference. From there, it's all SEC, with Mississippi third, Alabama fourth and Auburn fifth.
Thirty times since 2001, a conference has placed three teams in the top five of the AP Top 25. The SEC had done it 16 times since 2009.
Rounding out the Top-10 this week are Oregon, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Georgia and TCU.
UNDATED (AP) -- The New York Rangers have set a club record while earning their second straight win since a three-game skid.
Martin St. Louis (mahr-TAN' san loo-EE') and Rick Nash scored four seconds apart in the second period of the Rangers' 4-0 shutout of San Jose. It set a team mark for the fastest two goals without one being an empty-netter.
Nash already has seven goals in six games this season.
Henrik Lundqvist stopped 33 shots in his 51st career shutout, extending his team record.
Elsewhere on ice:
-- Anaheim picked up its fifth straight win as Sami Vatanen (SAM'-ee VAH'-tah-nehn) scored a pair of power-play goals in a 3-0 shutout of St. Louis. Frederik Andersen made 16 of his 28 saves in the final period to preserve his first career shutout.
-- Los Angeles has a four-game winning streak after Jonathan Quick made 40 saves and Tyler Toffoli had a goal and an assist in the Kings' 2-1 triumph over Minnesota. Tanner Pearson's goal put the Kings ahead 2-0 three minutes into the third period.
-- Calgary was a 4-1 winner at Winnipeg as Mason Raymond had a goal and two assists. Johnny Gaudreau (guh-DROH') and Dennis Wideman each had a goal and an assist to support Jonas Hiller's 34-save effort.
TALLADEGA, Ala. (AP) -- Brad Keselowski pulled away in overtime at Talladega Superspeedway for one of the biggest wins of his career, giving him an automatic berth into the third round of NASCAR's Chase for the championship.
Keselowski had to win at Talladega to stay alive in the Sprint Cup title hunt. It was the sixth win of the season for the 2012 Sprint Cup champion.
The Hendrick Motorsports trio of Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Kasey Kahne (kayn) all were eliminated from contention. Kyle Busch could not recover from an early wreck and also was eliminated from the Chase.
Joey Logano, Kevin Harvick, Ryan Newman, Carl Edwards, Jeff Gordon, Denny Hamlin and Matt Kenseth also advanced.
GOLF-SHRINERS HOSPITAL FOR CHILDREN OPEN
LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Ben Martin is the winner of the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open in Las Vegas, finishing two shots ahead of Kevin Streelman.
Martin took the lead with an eagle on 16 and birdied the final hole for a 3-under-par 68 and a 20-under total. It's his first PGA title after recording three third-place finishes last year. Martin was on the Web.com Tour in 2012 and 2013.
Streelman fired a 6-under 65 to move ahead of Russell Knox for second at 18-under.
Webb Simpson, Brooks Koepka and Jimmy Walker tied for fourth.
- Week 8 Game of the Week: North Broward Prep 6 Oxbridge Academy 44
- Week 8: Palm Beach Gardens 24 Jupiter 7
- Week 8: John I. Leonard 7 Palm Beach Central 17
- Week 8: Forest Hill 6 Royal Palm Beach 35
- Week 8: Lake Worth 7 Dwyer 28
- Week 8: Benjamin 13 King's Academy 49
- Week 8: Santaluces 14 Boca Raton 27
- Week 8: Atlantic 13 West Boca Raton 0
- Week 8: Suncoast 0 Boynton Beach 42
- Week 8: Glades Day 50 Boca Raton Christian 13
- PREVIEW: North Broward Prep vs Oxbridge Academy
- Week 7: Palm Beach Gardens 20 Glades Central 40
- Week 7 Game of the Week: Atlantic 7 Royal Palm Beach 44
- Week 7: Somerset Academy 6 Glades Day 28
- Week 7: West Boca Raton 80 Olympic Heights 3
- Week 7: Dillard 12 Boynton Beach 22
- Week 7: Dwyer 33 Forest Hill 0
- Week 7: Pahokee 44 Boca Raton 27
- Game Of The Week: Atlantic at Royal Palm Beach
- Thursday Night Football: Lake Worth 27 Palm Beach Lakes 16
- Game of the Week: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6: Somerset Academy 0 Glades Central 50
- Village Academy at Boca Raton Christian (preview)
- Week 6: Seminole 24 Palm Beach Gardens 24
- Week 6: Wellington 41 Jupiter 0
- Week 6: Pahokee 14 American Heritage 51
- Week 6: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6 High School Football Blitz Preview
- Week 5 Game of the Week: Glades Day 35 John Carroll 0
- Week 5: Key West 12 Oxbridge Academy 43
- Week 5: George Jenkins 7 Vero Beach 48
- Week 5: Don Bosco Prep 41 Ft. Pierce Central 14
- Week 5: University School 21 Jupiter Christian 14
- Week 5: Palm Beach Central 28 Seminole Ridge 14
- Week 5: Royal Palm Beach 49 Lake Worth 6
- Week 5: Glades Central 41 Suncoast 6
- Week 5: Boca Raton 0 Palm Beach Gardens 31
- Week 5: Stranahan 27 Boynton Beach 54
- Week 5: Olympic Heights 0 Dwyer 53
- Friday Night Blitz Game Of The Week 5: GLADES DAY at JOHN CARROLL (Preview)
- Week 5 Blitz Top 10
- Week 4: Boynton Beach 28 Westminster Christian 10
- Week 4 Game of the Week: West Boca 7 Royal Palm 17
- Week 4: Okeechobee 28 Ft. Pierce Westwood 21
- Week 4: Dwyer 36 Palm Beach Lakes 22
- Week 4: Heritage 34 Jensen Beach 0
- Week 4: Bayside 21 South Fork 6
- Week 4: Martin County 29 Port St. Lucie 13
- Week 4: Jupiter 7 Cardinal Newman 12
- Week 4: Boca Raton 7 Palm Beach Central 14
- Week 4: Atlantic 35 Forest Hill 0
- Game Of The Week 4: West Boca at Royal Palm Beach (PREVIEW)
- District play promises to be wild in 13-7A
- Week 3: Pope John Paul II 7 Benjamin 21
- Week 3 Game of the Week: American Heritage 20 Glades Central 18
- Week 3: John I. Leonard 7 Pahokee 33
- Week 3: South Fork 36 Wellington 45
- Week 3: Moore Haven 0 Glades Day 44
- Week 3: Dwyer 34 Palm Beach Gardens 10
- Week 3: Oxbridge Academy 48 Keys Gate 17
- Week 3: West Boca Raton 37 Palm Beach Central 13
- Week 3: Clewiston 38 Cardinal Newman 20
- Game Of The Week 3: Glades Central at American Heritage
- Week 3: Village Academy 20 Boynton Beach 54
- High School Football Week 3 Preview
- Week 2: Centennial 15 South Fork 24
- Week 2: Olympic Heights 0 Spanish River 23
- Week 2: Royal Palm Beach 20 Pahokee 16
- Week 2: Village Academy 0 Glades Day 27
- Week 2: #theskinny - Boynton's Swain wants to go out on top
- Week 2 Game of the Week: Glades Central 20 Palm Beach Central 0
- Week 2: Suncoast 6 Cardinal Newman 16
- Week 2: Dwyer 41 Jupiter 7
- Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Park Vista 7
- Week 2: Clewiston 43 Immokalee 28
- Week 2: West Boca Raton 38 Wellington 14
- Week 2: Lake Worth 29 Boynton Beach 64
- Week 2: Boca Raton 7 Atlantic 34
- Week 2: Vero Beach 42 Martin County 0
- Week 1: Palm Beach Central 6 Royal Palm Beach 21
- Week 1 Game of the Week: Glades Central 12 Dwyer 7
- Week 1: South Fork 27 Martin County 6
- Week 1: Sebastian River 6 Vero Beach 35
- Week 1: Jupiter 0 Palm Beach Lakes 25
- Week 1: Miramar 14 American Heritage 7
- Week 1: John I. Leonard 0 Palm Beach Gardens 21
- Week 1: Seminole Ridge 21 Boca Raton 25
- Game of the Week Preview: Glades Central vs. Dwyer
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
Survey: Pay raises rarer despite strong US hiring
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A new business survey finds hiring is healthy but pay raises, not so much.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
JAY LENO-COMEDY AWARD
WASHINGTON (AP) -- He has told many a joke during his career.
MANNING RECORD - KEEP-AWAY
DENVER (AP) -- It was a game of keep-way -- with Peyton Manning's record-breaking football.
IN THE NEWS: SPRINT LAYOFFS ANNOUNCED
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (AP) -- Sprint is cutting its payroll in an effort to save its market share.
Tonight on CBS12
8 PM -- Big Bang Theory
8:30 PM -- Big Bang Theory
9 PM -- Scorpion
10 PM -- NCIS: Los Angeles