Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
Story by John Evenson / CBS 12 Sports
Our first Game of the Week of the season features a match-up that is highly regarded as the best in the east against the best in the west. Both the Dwyer and Glades Central football teams are well known for consistently producing BCS and NFL stars, and there is no shortage of talent on the teams entering this season. Both teams consider anything less than a State Championship as a disappointment.
In my eyes its a good way to start the season, says Glades Central running back Jerry Jones, because in the playoffs well be playing tougher teams than this, so its a good way to get prepared.
You know theyre gonna come to play, says Glades Central head coach Roosevelt Blackmon, because theyve got a chip on their shoulders.
That chip on Dwyers shoulder in courtesy of a 44-13 Kickoff Classic loss to Miami Central this past Saturday. The Panthers were not happy about giving up 175 yards worth of penalties, and they turned over the ball too much for their liking.
We gave up plays against Miami Central, agrees Dwyer head coach Jack Daniels, two pass plays, and were not like that. We dont usually do that, but Glades Central will exploit you in the same way.
Wednesday, August 28 2013, 02:02 PM EDT
Last Update on October 23, 2014 12:58 GMT
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The Kansas City Royals have evened the World Series at a game apiece, thanks to a huge sixth inning against the San Francisco Giants.
The game was tied 2-2 until the Royals erupted for five runs in the sixth. Billy Butler broke the stalemate with his second RBI single of the night. Salvador Perez followed with a two-run double before Omar Infante (ihn-FAHN'-tay) smacked a two-run homer.
Alcides (al-SEE'-dehs) Escobar had two hits and an RBI, and Lorenzo Cain was 2-for-4 with two runs scored.
Gregor Blanco belted a leadoff homer for the Giants.
Kelvin Herrera picked up the victory by tossing shutout ball for 1 2/3 innings. He came in for starter Yordano Ventura, who gave up two runs and eight hits in 5 1/3 innings.
Losing pitcher Jake Peavy was reached for four runs and six hits in five-plus innings.
The series moves to San Francisco for Game 3 on Friday. Tim Hudson is scheduled to start for the Giants against Jeremy Guthrie.
Game 1 set a World Series record-low TV rating for the second time in three years. The fast national ratings by Nielsen Media Research say the game drew a 7.3 rating and 12.2 million viewers last night on Fox. That broke the previous low of a 7.6 rating and 12.2 million for the Giants' 8-3 victory over Detroit in 2012.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Didn't stay up for Game One of the World Series? Don't worry. You were hardly alone.
The World Series opener involving the San Francisco Giants set a record low TV rating for the second time in three seasons.
According to fast national ratings by Nielsen Media Research, San Francisco's 7-1 win over Kansas City drew a 7.3 rating and 12.2 million viewers Tuesday night on Fox.
That broke the previous low of a 7.6 rating and 12.2 million for the Giants' 8-3 victory over Detroit in 2012.
SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Phil Plantier (plan-TEER') is the latest hitting coach to be fired by the San Diego Padres, dismissed after three years on the job.
The Padres hit .226 last year, worst in the big leagues. They were hitting .210 on June 30.
Plantier had been the sixth hitting coach since the Padres began playing in spacious Petco Park in 2004.
In other baseball news:
-- L.A. Dodgers pitcher Dan Haren underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left shoulder. The Dodgers say it was a 30-minute procedure on Haren's non-throwing shoulder to clean out bursitis and the AC joint, and he should be good to go by spring training. The 34-year-old right-hander had a 13-11 record with a 4.02 ERA this season.
NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA owners have voted down proposed changes to the league's draft lottery system, thus keeping the existing system in place for now.
The team with the worst record will still have a 25 percent chance at getting the top pick and cannot drop lower than fourth. Earlier in the week there appeared to be enough support for reforms that would make it more difficult for teams with the worst records to secure the top pick in the draft.
UNDATED (AP) -- Wednesday's shootings in Ottawa led the National Hockey League to postpone the Senators' game against the visiting Maple Leafs. The NHL said the date and time of the rescheduled game will be announced at a later date.
A gunman shot and killed a Canadian soldier standing guard at a war memorial in the country's capital, then entered Parliament, where dozens of shots rang out, according to police and witnesses. The gunman was later killed.
The Pittsburgh Penguins played "O Canada" before their game against Philadelphia in tribute to the soldier, corporal Nathan Cirillo. A sell-out crowd belted out the Canadian national anthem as the Canadian flag was flashed on the scoreboard and projected onto the ice.
The Flyers were the winners in Pittsburgh as R.J. Umberger and Matt Read scored two minutes apart in the third period of a 5-3 triumph over the Penguins. Umberger and Sean Couturier (koo-TUR'-ee-ay) each finished with a goal and an assist.
Elsewhere on ice:
-- Anaheim has a six-game winning streak after Corey Perry recorded a hat trick in a 4-1 triumph against Buffalo. The Sabres were in danger of their third straight shutout loss until Tyler Ennis scored with 5:06 to play.
-- Washington became the last Eastern Conference team to suffer a regulation loss as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nikita Nikitin (nih-KEE'-tihn) scored second-period goals to rally Edmonton past the Capitals 3-2. Justin Schultz also scored, Teddy Purcell (PUR'-sul) had two assists and Ben Scrivens stopped 32 shots in the Oilers' second straight win since an 0-4-1 start.
Caps' Erskine has back surgery
Capitals defenseman John Erskine has had surgery to repair a disk in his neck. The team says Erskine is scheduled to start his rehabilitation program in the next few weeks.
The 6-foot-4, 220-pound defenseman has not appeared in a game this season.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) -- An investigation released Wednesday says the scale of an academic scandal involving bogus classes and inflated grades at the University of North Carolina was far more widespread than previously reported. The investigation says the scandal included about 1,500 athletes who got easy A's and B's over a span of nearly two decades. Most of the athletes involved were football players or members of the school's cherished basketball program.
The report says about 3,100 students enrolled in classes they didn't have to show up for in what was deemed a "shadow curriculum" within the former African and Afro-American Studies (AFAM) department from 1993 to 2011. Nearly half of those students were athletes.
The NCAA reopened an academic-misconduct probe at UNC in June because new information was available. The new investigation said it was done in cooperation with the NCAA.
UNDATED (AP) -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (guh-DEHL') could participate in Ray Rice's appeal of his indefinite suspension.
A person familiar with the case has told The Associated Press that an arbiter has ruled that Goodell should testify. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because details of the appeal have not been made public.
Since this isn't a criminal case, it's uncertain whether Goodell will actually testify in a private arbitration.
Rice was suspended indefinitely Sept. 8 and released by the Baltimore Ravens for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy after a video of Rice hitting his then-fiancee in an elevator was released publicly. Goodell originally had suspended the running back for two games, and the players' union argues that Rice should not be punished twice.
CONROE, Texas (AP) -- A prosecution request to remove the judge handling the felony child abuse case against Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson has been denied.
Montgomery County state District Judge Kelly Case will remain on the case following a recusal hearing on Wednesday in suburban Houston. Retired Tarrant County District Judge Jeff Walker denied a request by prosecutors, who had accused Case of being biased against them.
Peterson is charged with injury to a child for using a wooden switch to discipline his 4-year-old son. He is on paid leave and Case has set a tentative trial date of Dec. 1.
ASHBURN, VA. (AP) -- Redskins coach Jay Gruden (GROO'-dehn) says there's a chance that injured starting quarterback Robert Griffin III might be able to play in Monday night's game with Dallas. For now, Colt McCoy will start the game but Gruden says Griffin is a "wild card."
Gruden says Griffin still needs to be cleared for full contact and satisfy the coaches that he's ready in order to play.
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Colts linebacker Erik Walden has been fined $27,562 after being ejected for making contact with an official during Sunday's victory over Cincinnati. Walden says he was trying to move around umpire Bruce Stritesky and that he didn't mean to bump into him.
ATHENS, Ga. (AP) -- Georgia was expected to file a request with the NCAA for tailback Todd Gurley's eligibility to be reinstated. The SEC's leading rusher has been suspended for the last two games while Georgia investigated allegations he broke NCAA rules by receiving improper benefits. Georgia said in the statement released this morning it "hopes for and expects" a prompt ruling by the NCAA, although it is unclear if the university has filed the request.
- Week 8 Game of the Week: North Broward Prep 6 Oxbridge Academy 44
- Week 8: Palm Beach Gardens 24 Jupiter 7
- Week 8: John I. Leonard 7 Palm Beach Central 17
- Week 8: Forest Hill 6 Royal Palm Beach 35
- Week 8: Lake Worth 7 Dwyer 28
- Week 8: Benjamin 13 King's Academy 49
- Week 8: Santaluces 14 Boca Raton 27
- Week 8: Atlantic 13 West Boca Raton 0
- Week 8: Suncoast 0 Boynton Beach 42
- Week 8: Glades Day 50 Boca Raton Christian 13
- PREVIEW: North Broward Prep vs Oxbridge Academy
- Week 7: Palm Beach Gardens 20 Glades Central 40
- Week 7 Game of the Week: Atlantic 7 Royal Palm Beach 44
- Week 7: Somerset Academy 6 Glades Day 28
- Week 7: West Boca Raton 80 Olympic Heights 3
- Week 7: Dillard 12 Boynton Beach 22
- Week 7: Dwyer 33 Forest Hill 0
- Week 7: Pahokee 44 Boca Raton 27
- Game Of The Week: Atlantic at Royal Palm Beach
- Thursday Night Football: Lake Worth 27 Palm Beach Lakes 16
- Game of the Week: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6: Somerset Academy 0 Glades Central 50
- Village Academy at Boca Raton Christian (preview)
- Week 6: Seminole 24 Palm Beach Gardens 24
- Week 6: Wellington 41 Jupiter 0
- Week 6: Pahokee 14 American Heritage 51
- Week 6: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6 High School Football Blitz Preview
- Week 5 Game of the Week: Glades Day 35 John Carroll 0
- Week 5: Key West 12 Oxbridge Academy 43
- Week 5: George Jenkins 7 Vero Beach 48
- Week 5: Don Bosco Prep 41 Ft. Pierce Central 14
- Week 5: University School 21 Jupiter Christian 14
- Week 5: Palm Beach Central 28 Seminole Ridge 14
- Week 5: Royal Palm Beach 49 Lake Worth 6
- Week 5: Glades Central 41 Suncoast 6
- Week 5: Boca Raton 0 Palm Beach Gardens 31
- Week 5: Stranahan 27 Boynton Beach 54
- Week 5: Olympic Heights 0 Dwyer 53
- Friday Night Blitz Game Of The Week 5: GLADES DAY at JOHN CARROLL (Preview)
- Week 5 Blitz Top 10
- Week 4: Boynton Beach 28 Westminster Christian 10
- Week 4 Game of the Week: West Boca 7 Royal Palm 17
- Week 4: Okeechobee 28 Ft. Pierce Westwood 21
- Week 4: Dwyer 36 Palm Beach Lakes 22
- Week 4: Heritage 34 Jensen Beach 0
- Week 4: Bayside 21 South Fork 6
- Week 4: Martin County 29 Port St. Lucie 13
- Week 4: Jupiter 7 Cardinal Newman 12
- Week 4: Boca Raton 7 Palm Beach Central 14
- Week 4: Atlantic 35 Forest Hill 0
- Game Of The Week 4: West Boca at Royal Palm Beach (PREVIEW)
- District play promises to be wild in 13-7A
- Week 3: Pope John Paul II 7 Benjamin 21
- Week 3 Game of the Week: American Heritage 20 Glades Central 18
- Week 3: John I. Leonard 7 Pahokee 33
- Week 3: South Fork 36 Wellington 45
- Week 3: Moore Haven 0 Glades Day 44
- Week 3: Dwyer 34 Palm Beach Gardens 10
- Week 3: Oxbridge Academy 48 Keys Gate 17
- Week 3: West Boca Raton 37 Palm Beach Central 13
- Week 3: Clewiston 38 Cardinal Newman 20
- Game Of The Week 3: Glades Central at American Heritage
- Week 3: Village Academy 20 Boynton Beach 54
- High School Football Week 3 Preview
- Week 2: Centennial 15 South Fork 24
- Week 2: Olympic Heights 0 Spanish River 23
- Week 2: Royal Palm Beach 20 Pahokee 16
- Week 2: Village Academy 0 Glades Day 27
- Week 2: #theskinny - Boynton's Swain wants to go out on top
- Week 2 Game of the Week: Glades Central 20 Palm Beach Central 0
- Week 2: Suncoast 6 Cardinal Newman 16
- Week 2: Dwyer 41 Jupiter 7
- Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Park Vista 7
- Week 2: Clewiston 43 Immokalee 28
- Week 2: West Boca Raton 38 Wellington 14
- Week 2: Lake Worth 29 Boynton Beach 64
- Week 2: Boca Raton 7 Atlantic 34
- Week 2: Vero Beach 42 Martin County 0
- Week 1: Palm Beach Central 6 Royal Palm Beach 21
- Week 1 Game of the Week: Glades Central 12 Dwyer 7
- Week 1: South Fork 27 Martin County 6
- Week 1: Sebastian River 6 Vero Beach 35
- Week 1: Jupiter 0 Palm Beach Lakes 25
- Week 1: Miramar 14 American Heritage 7
- Week 1: John I. Leonard 0 Palm Beach Gardens 21
- Week 1: Seminole Ridge 21 Boca Raton 25
- Game of the Week Preview: Glades Central vs. Dwyer
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
Major business and economic reports due out today
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Labor Department will report today on the number of people who applied for unemployment benefits last week. Economists forecast that weekly applications increased 16,000 to a seasonally adjusted 280,000.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- It wasn't surgery -- or some newfangled diet.
ASHLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Stuffed teddy bears on drug store shelves may be a common thing.
IN THE NEWS: NEW STUDY DEALS WITH ONLINE HARASSMENT
NEW YORK (AP) -- It's something anyone who has ever read postings on a controversial subject already knows: the Internet can be a rough place.
Tonight on CBS12
8:25 PM -- NFL on CBS