Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
Story by John Evenson / CBS 12 Sports
Our first Game of the Week of the season features a match-up that is highly regarded as the best in the east against the best in the west. Both the Dwyer and Glades Central football teams are well known for consistently producing BCS and NFL stars, and there is no shortage of talent on the teams entering this season. Both teams consider anything less than a State Championship as a disappointment.
In my eyes its a good way to start the season, says Glades Central running back Jerry Jones, because in the playoffs well be playing tougher teams than this, so its a good way to get prepared.
You know theyre gonna come to play, says Glades Central head coach Roosevelt Blackmon, because theyve got a chip on their shoulders.
That chip on Dwyers shoulder in courtesy of a 44-13 Kickoff Classic loss to Miami Central this past Saturday. The Panthers were not happy about giving up 175 yards worth of penalties, and they turned over the ball too much for their liking.
We gave up plays against Miami Central, agrees Dwyer head coach Jack Daniels, two pass plays, and were not like that. We dont usually do that, but Glades Central will exploit you in the same way.
Wednesday, August 28 2013, 03:02 PM EDT
Last Update on December 22, 2014 23:42 GMT
COLLEGE FOOTBALL-MIAMI BEACH BOWL
MIAMI (AP)-- The first Miami Beach Bowl ended with a dandy Miami Beach brawl.
Moments after Memphis had secured a 55-48 double overtime victory over BYU at Marlins Park in Miami, several fights broke out between Memphis and Brigham Young players. It took several minutes for order to be restored, but not before several punches had been thrown and tempers flared. The brawl involved many players from both teams after BYU's Christian Stewart threw an interception on the final play.
As for the game, Paxton Lynch accounted for seven touchdowns including a scoring pass to Roderick Proctor in the second overtime to win it. Jake Elliott made a 55-yard field goal to force the second OT.
Lynch threw for four scores and ran for three more for Memphis.
The victory secured the first 10-victory season for Memphis since 1938. The Tigers wound up 10-3. BYU finished 8-5.
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Peyton Manning is 8-0 in his career against Cincinnati. That doesn't bode well for the Bengals tonight when Manning and the Denver Broncos visit in the Monday Night Football game.
But the Broncos quarterback may not be 100 percent for this critical game for both teams. He's been bothered by the flu and a strained right thigh. That limited him in practice this week.
It's a pivotal game for both teams in the playoff picture. The 11-3 Broncos have already won the AFC West and would clinch a first-round bye with a victory at Paul Brown Stadium. They are also in the running for best record in the AFC and home field advantage throughout the playoffs.
The 9-4-1 Bengals would earn a fourth straight trip to the playoffs with a win. Regardless of the outcome, Cincinnati will play the Steelers in Pittsburgh next week for the AFC North title.
CLEVELAND (AP) -- Johnny Football's unspectacular first NFL season is over. Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel (man-ZEHL') has been ruled out of the team's season finale against Baltimore after suffering a hamstring injury in Sunday's loss to Carolina. It was the second start of the season for the rookie sensation. The player he replaced as starter, Brian Hoyer had to come in to finish up the Panthers game but he hurt his shoulder.
If Hoyer can't play against the Ravens, rookie Connor Shaw will start.
NFL- BEARS QUARTERBACKS
LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) -- Chicago quarterback Jimmy Clausen will miss the season finale against Minnesota because of a concussion, moving Jay Cutler back into the starting role. Cutler was benched in favor of Clausen for Sunday's loss to Detroit. Clausen was injured on a helmet-to-helmet hit by the Lions Ezekiel Ansah during the game.
The Bears say he passed all tests by team physicians after the game and reported no concussion symptoms. He started having issues later in the day.
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- In the wake of Arizona's one-sided loss to the Seattle Seahawks, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians says he's leaning toward starting rookie quarterback Logan Thomas in the regular-season finale. Arians insists the decision is not a reflection on how Ryan Lindley played in Sunday's 35-6 home loss to the Seahawks.
Arians says he wants to see what Thomas "can do for the future and the playoffs."
It's not that the game has no playoff implications.
At 11-4, Arizona still can clinch the NFC West and No. 1 seed in the playoffs if it beats San Francisco and the Seahawks lose at home to St. Louis.
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- A dozen people are recovering after they were injured by an indirect lightning strike at Raymond James Stadium after a game between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Green Bay Packers.
Tampa Fire Rescue officials say the lightning strike happened Sunday afternoon as fans were walking back to their cars in one of the parking lots.
Rescue crews took seven people to the hospital. All were in stable condition when they left for St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa. Another four to five people told authorities they were going on their own to be checked out.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- San Francisco Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro (SKOO'-tah-roh) has undergone back surgery that could end his career.
Giants general manager Brian Sabean (SAY'-bee-ihn) says Scutaro had the fusion procedure performed by Dr. Michael Wang in Miami on Friday to alleviate the troublesome area at level L-2/L-3 of his spine. It will be four-to-six months before doctors determine whether Scutaro can play baseball again.
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Phil Hughes finished his first season in Minnesota one out shy of a $500,000 bonus. His new deal with the Twins more than takes care of that.
The Twins and the 28-year-old right-hander have agreed to a $58 million, five-year contract that adds $42 million in guaranteed money from 2017-19.
Hughes went 16-10 with a 3.52 ERA and led the major leagues among qualifying pitchers with an 11.63 strikeout-to-walk ratio. He had been scheduled to make $8 million each of the next two seasons as part of a $24 million, three-year contract.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Free agent reliever Sergio Romo has finalized a $15 million, two-year contract with the Giants, keeping a key member of bullpen from three championship runs.
The 31-year-old right-hander has spent all seven of his big league seasons with San Francisco, winning titles in 2010, `12 and this year. He went 6-4 with a 3.72 ERA with 23 saves in 64 outings last season.
UNDATED (AP) -- Make it three weeks in a row that Kentucky has been a unanimous pick as No. 1 in The Associated Press men's college basketball poll. The 12-0 Wildcats got all 65 first-place votes. Kentucky solidified its spot as the top team in the land with a crushing 83-44 win over UCLA Saturday in which the Wildcats rattled off the first 24 points in the game.
Duke, Arizona and Louisville held onto the next three spots.
The Cardinals have a showdown with Kentucky in Louisville on Saturday.
Virginia moves up a spot to No. 5, trading places with Wisconsin.
Villanova, Gonzaga, Texas and Kansas rounded out the top 10 in the same spots they held last week.
UNDATED (AP) -- Toronto visits Chicago in a battle of division leaders that highlights tonight's seven-game NBA schedule.
The Atlantic Division leading Raptors top the Eastern Conference with a 22-5 record that includes a six-game winning streak. The Bulls lead the Central Division but are only 5-5 at home this season. Chicago is hoping to have Derek Rose back in the lineup after the star guard missed the last two games with an illness.
The Hawks are on quite a run. Atlanta has won 12 of its last 13 to pull into a tie with Washington for first in the Southeast Division. The Hawks are on the road to take on the Mavericks and newly acquired guard Rajon Rondo.
Golden State has won 17 of 18 as it prepares to host Sacramento. The Warriors are 9-1 on their home court this season.
San Antonio is in an uncharacteristic slump heading into its home game against the Clippers. The Spurs have dropped four in a row and lost six of their last eight. In the Clippers, they'll be taking on a fifth straight opponent that would currently qualify for the playoffs.
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- With Detroit sporting a 5-23 record, it was time for a Pistons change.
The Pistons waived forward Josh Smith, less than halfway through the lucrative four-year contract he signed before the 2013-14 season. Pistons GM and coach Stan Van Gundy said he wants to develop younger players.
UNDATED (AP) -- No. 6 Wisconsin should be well rested for tonight's game at California and they may need it. The 10-1 Badgers have been off for nine days for exams. The Golden Bears have won seven in a row to improve to 10-1. It's their best start to a season since 1959-60.
The only team that's beaten Kansas this season is top-ranked Kentucky. The 10th-ranked Jayhawks try to improve on their 9-1 record when they visit 7-4 Temple.
No. 13 Washington will try to match its best start to a season since 2005-06 when they host Tulane. The Huskies are 10-0 thanks, in part, to the nation's leading shot blocker, Robert Upshaw.
There are 12 games on the schedule involving top 25 teams.
- American Heritage faces familiar foe for state championship
- Wellington gets blanked in Regional Finals at Flanagan
- St. Thomas Aquinas shuts door on Royal Palm's season
- American Heritage dominates CCC to advance to Citrus Bowl
- Indian Rocks ends Glades Day's season
- Blaze Thompson steps down as Pahokee's head coach
- Royal Palm ready to tackle titan St. Thomas Aquinas Friday
- Wellington preparing for shootout in first trip to Regional Finals
- Playoffs Week 2 Game of the Week: JCS 0 Glades Day 41
- Playoffs Week 2: Clewiston 21 Cocoa Beach 26
- Playoffs Week 2: Vero Beach 28 Manatee 47
- Playoffs Week 2: Atlantic 7 Royal Palm Beach 28
- Playoffs Week 2: American Heritage 23 Westminster Christian 7
- Playoffs Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Wellington 16
- Playoffs Week 2: Glades Central 7 Booker T. Washington 35
- Playoffs Week 1 Game of the Week: Park Vista 29 Wellington 53
- Playoffs Week 1: Chaminade 21 American Heritage 58
- Playoffs Week 1: Dade Christian 0 Glades Day 28
- Playoffs Week 1: Gulliver Prep 13 Glades Central 32
- Playoffs Week 1: Ft. Lauderdale 13 Royal Palm 44
- Playoffs Week 1: Atlantic 21 Blanche Ely 13
- Playoffs Week 1: Palm Beach Gardens 24 Palm Beach Central 20
- Week 11 Game of the Week: Glades Central 23 Pahokee 14
- Week 11: Palm Beach Central 30 Palm Beach Gardens 28
- Week 11: St. Edward's 6 Jupiter Christian 48
- Week 11: Seminole Ridge 26 Royal Palm Beach 42
- Week 11: Jupiter 12 South Fork 33
- Week 11: North Broward Prep 14 Oxbridge Academy 57
- Week 11: Okeechobee 7 Clewiston 44
- Week 11: John I. Leonard 28 Wellington 49
- Week 10 Game of the Week: Wellington 23 Palm Beach Gardens 17
- Week 10: Jupiter Christian 24 Boca Raton Christian 7
- Week 10: Dwyer 22 West Boca Raton 24
- Week 10: American Heritage 48 Cardinal Newman 3
- Week 10: Port St. Lucie 13 South Fork 28
- Week 10: Vero Beach 35 Centennial 0
- Week 10: Royal Palm Beach 42 Palm Beach Lakes 7
- Week 10: Lake Worth 14 Atlantic 33
- PREVIEW: Game Of The Week-- Wellington at Palm Beach Gardens
- Week 9 Game of the Week: Glades Day 7 Clewiston 41
- Week 9: American Heritage (Plantation) 35 American Heritage (Delray) 45
- Week 9: Spanish River 20 Palm Beach Central 40
- Week 9: Palm Beach Lakes 18 Forest Hill 19
- Week 9: West Boca Raton 7 Lake Worth 28
- Week 9: Northwestern 7 Glades Central 17
- Week 9: Boca Raton 14 Park Vista 27
- Week 9: Dwyer 26 Atlantic 37
- (PREVIEW) Game of the Week: Glades Day at Clewiston
- Palm Beach Gardens' Coney picks Notre Dame
- Week 8 Game of the Week: North Broward Prep 6 Oxbridge Academy 44
- Week 8: Palm Beach Gardens 24 Jupiter 7
- Week 8: John I. Leonard 7 Palm Beach Central 17
- Week 8: Forest Hill 6 Royal Palm Beach 35
- Week 8: Lake Worth 7 Dwyer 28
- Week 8: Benjamin 13 King's Academy 49
- Week 8: Santaluces 14 Boca Raton 27
- Week 8: Atlantic 13 West Boca Raton 0
- Week 8: Suncoast 0 Boynton Beach 42
- Week 8: Glades Day 50 Boca Raton Christian 13
- PREVIEW: North Broward Prep vs Oxbridge Academy
- Week 7: Palm Beach Gardens 20 Glades Central 40
- Week 7 Game of the Week: Atlantic 7 Royal Palm Beach 44
- Week 7: Somerset Academy 6 Glades Day 28
- Week 7: West Boca Raton 80 Olympic Heights 3
- Week 7: Dillard 12 Boynton Beach 22
- Week 7: Dwyer 33 Forest Hill 0
- Week 7: Pahokee 44 Boca Raton 27
- Game Of The Week: Atlantic at Royal Palm Beach
- Thursday Night Football: Lake Worth 27 Palm Beach Lakes 16
- Game of the Week: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6: Somerset Academy 0 Glades Central 50
- Village Academy at Boca Raton Christian (preview)
- Week 6: Seminole 24 Palm Beach Gardens 24
- Week 6: Wellington 41 Jupiter 0
- Week 6: Pahokee 14 American Heritage 51
- Week 6: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6 High School Football Blitz Preview
- Week 5 Game of the Week: Glades Day 35 John Carroll 0
- Week 5: Key West 12 Oxbridge Academy 43
- Week 5: George Jenkins 7 Vero Beach 48
- Week 5: Don Bosco Prep 41 Ft. Pierce Central 14
- Week 5: University School 21 Jupiter Christian 14
- Week 5: Palm Beach Central 28 Seminole Ridge 14
- Week 5: Royal Palm Beach 49 Lake Worth 6
- Week 5: Glades Central 41 Suncoast 6
- Week 5: Boca Raton 0 Palm Beach Gardens 31
- Week 5: Stranahan 27 Boynton Beach 54
- Week 5: Olympic Heights 0 Dwyer 53
- Friday Night Blitz Game Of The Week 5: GLADES DAY at JOHN CARROLL (Preview)
- Week 5 Blitz Top 10
- Week 4: Boynton Beach 28 Westminster Christian 10
- Week 4 Game of the Week: West Boca 7 Royal Palm 17
- Week 4: Okeechobee 28 Ft. Pierce Westwood 21
- Week 4: Dwyer 36 Palm Beach Lakes 22
- Week 4: Heritage 34 Jensen Beach 0
- Week 4: Bayside 21 South Fork 6
- Week 4: Martin County 29 Port St. Lucie 13
- Week 4: Jupiter 7 Cardinal Newman 12
- Week 4: Boca Raton 7 Palm Beach Central 14
- Week 4: Atlantic 35 Forest Hill 0
- Game Of The Week 4: West Boca at Royal Palm Beach (PREVIEW)
- District play promises to be wild in 13-7A
- Week 3: Pope John Paul II 7 Benjamin 21
- Week 3 Game of the Week: American Heritage 20 Glades Central 18
- Week 3: John I. Leonard 7 Pahokee 33
- Week 3: South Fork 36 Wellington 45
- Week 3: Moore Haven 0 Glades Day 44
- Week 3: Dwyer 34 Palm Beach Gardens 10
- Week 3: Oxbridge Academy 48 Keys Gate 17
- Week 3: West Boca Raton 37 Palm Beach Central 13
- Week 3: Clewiston 38 Cardinal Newman 20
- Game Of The Week 3: Glades Central at American Heritage
- Week 3: Village Academy 20 Boynton Beach 54
- High School Football Week 3 Preview
- Week 2: Centennial 15 South Fork 24
- Week 2: Olympic Heights 0 Spanish River 23
- Week 2: Royal Palm Beach 20 Pahokee 16
- Week 2: Village Academy 0 Glades Day 27
- Week 2: #theskinny - Boynton's Swain wants to go out on top
- Week 2 Game of the Week: Glades Central 20 Palm Beach Central 0
- Week 2: Suncoast 6 Cardinal Newman 16
- Week 2: Dwyer 41 Jupiter 7
- Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Park Vista 7
- Week 2: Clewiston 43 Immokalee 28
- Week 2: West Boca Raton 38 Wellington 14
- Week 2: Lake Worth 29 Boynton Beach 64
- Week 2: Boca Raton 7 Atlantic 34
- Week 2: Vero Beach 42 Martin County 0
- Week 1: Palm Beach Central 6 Royal Palm Beach 21
- Week 1 Game of the Week: Glades Central 12 Dwyer 7
- Week 1: South Fork 27 Martin County 6
- Week 1: Sebastian River 6 Vero Beach 35
- Week 1: Jupiter 0 Palm Beach Lakes 25
- Week 1: Miramar 14 American Heritage 7
- Week 1: John I. Leonard 0 Palm Beach Gardens 21
- Week 1: Seminole Ridge 21 Boca Raton 25
- Game of the Week Preview: Glades Central vs. Dwyer
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
US home sales dropped sharply in November
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Fewer Americans bought homes in November as buying slid to its slowest pace in six months.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
SONY HACK - ADMINISTRATION RESPONSE
HONOLULU (AP) -- Is the hacking of Sony an act of terrorism?
ASSAULT RIFLE SANTA
CHICO, Calif. (AP) -- Santa's armed -- and that has some people upset in Northern California.
IN THE NEWS: NYPD KILLER RANTED ONLINE BEFORE SHOOTING
NEW YORK (AP) -- New York City's police commissioner says the gunman who killed two police officers had made online posts that were "very anti-police."
Tonight on CBS12
8 PM -- Big Bang Theory
8:30 PM -- Big Bang Theory
9 PM -- Scorpion
10 PM -- NCIS: Los Angeles