Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
Story by John Evenson / CBS 12 Sports
Our first Game of the Week of the season features a match-up that is highly regarded as the best in the east against the best in the west. Both the Dwyer and Glades Central football teams are well known for consistently producing BCS and NFL stars, and there is no shortage of talent on the teams entering this season. Both teams consider anything less than a State Championship as a disappointment.
In my eyes its a good way to start the season, says Glades Central running back Jerry Jones, because in the playoffs well be playing tougher teams than this, so its a good way to get prepared.
You know theyre gonna come to play, says Glades Central head coach Roosevelt Blackmon, because theyve got a chip on their shoulders.
That chip on Dwyers shoulder in courtesy of a 44-13 Kickoff Classic loss to Miami Central this past Saturday. The Panthers were not happy about giving up 175 yards worth of penalties, and they turned over the ball too much for their liking.
We gave up plays against Miami Central, agrees Dwyer head coach Jack Daniels, two pass plays, and were not like that. We dont usually do that, but Glades Central will exploit you in the same way.
Wednesday, August 28 2013, 03:02 PM EDT
Last Update on October 14, 2015 00:29 GMT
UNDATED (AP) -- The Chicago Cubs will spend the weekend in New York or Los Angeles.
The Cubs have won the National League Division Series by belting three more homers in a 6-4 victory over the Cardinals in Game 4 at Wrigley Field. Javier Baez launched a three-run homer to put Chicago ahead 4-2 in the second inning. The Cards eventually tied it in the sixth before Anthony Rizzo smashed a go-ahead solo shot in the bottom of the inning. Kyle Schwarber provided the Cubs' ninth home run in two games to make it 6-4 in the seventh.
Manager Joe Maddon needed a lot of help from his bullpen to close it out after starter Jason Hammel was reached for three hits in three innings. Seven pitchers followed Hammel, with Justin Grimm and Pedro Strop each tossing a hitless inning before Hector Rondon closed it out.
Losing pitcher Kevin Siegrist served up the solo shots by Rizzo and Schwarber.
Steven Piscotty hit a two-run homer for the Cardinals, who failed to reach the NLCS for the first time in five seasons. Piscotty also made the final out of the series, striking out against Rondon.
It's the first time the Cubs have ever clinched a playoff series at Wrigley Field. They also moved into the championship series for the first time since 2003.
Chicago remains baseball's hottest team. The Cubs ended the regular season on an eight-game winning streak before taking four of their first five playoff games.
As a wild-card team, the Cubs will open the NLCS on the road despite finishing with a better record than the Mets and Dodgers.
The Mets are trying to close out their division series right now. New York sent rookie Steven Matz to the mound against Dodgers ace lefty Clayton Kershaw. The game was scoreless heading into the second inning.
Los Angeles needs a huge performance from Kershaw after Brett Anderson and Alex Wood combined to surrender 10 runs over the first five innings of last night's 13-7 loss to the Mets.
The two American League Division Series are on hold until tomorrow. The Toronto Blue Jays will host the Texas Rangers in a winner-take-all fifth game, and the Kansas City Royals will entertain the Houston Astros in Game 5 of that series.
NEW YORK (AP) -- A person familiar with the process has told The Associated Press that Dodgers second baseman Chase Utley's appeal hearing has been scheduled for Monday, long after the NLDS ends.
Utley was suspended two games by Major League Baseball Chief Baseball Officer Joe Torre for his rough slide in Game 2, a collision that broke the right leg of Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada (teh-HAH'-dah). Utley appealed the suspension and will be eligible to complete the series, which the Mets can close out with a victory tonight.
BASEBALL-DODGER STADIUM FIGHT
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Los Angeles police say a fan was critically injured in a fight outside Dodger Stadium following Friday night's NL division series game between Los Angeles and the New York Mets.
An officer said the victim remained hospitalized Tuesday, but few other details were available, including the person's age and gender. Officer Ricardo Hernandez said an argument between fans in the parking lot quickly escalated into violence. It wasn't clear whether those involved were fans of rival teams.
Detectives with the robbery-homicide division were interviewing witnesses and reviewing stadium surveillance footage, according to Hernandez.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL-SOUTH CAROLINA-COACH
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Steve Spurrier is now a former football coach.
The 70-year-old Spurrier officially announced his resignation as head coach at South Carolina, saying it was time to leave. The decision comes after the Gamecocks got off to a 2-4 start that includes an 0-4 mark in the SEC.
It caps a half-century in which he won the 1966 Heisman Trophy with Florida, quarterbacked the first 0-14 team in NFL history, revived a moribund Duke program as a first-time head coach, won a national championship with his alma mater and led the Gamecocks to their greatest successes.
South Carolina posted three straight 11-win seasons under Spurrier after never winning more than 10 before his arrival. He went 11-2 as late as 2013, but the Gamecocks followed that with a 6-6 season that caused Spurrier to ponder retirement last winter.
Spurrier was 86-49 with the Gamecocks. He had his greatest success at his alma mater, going 122-27-1 with a national championship at Florida. Spurrier was 228-89-2 in 319 games as a college head coach.
Spurrier has been replaced on an interim basis by co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Shawn Elliott.
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz has confirmed that star defensive end Drew Ott will miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL in his right knee.
Ott is the Hawkeyes' best pass rusher and arguably its best player. He is sixth in the Big Ten with 7.5 tackles for loss and five sacks despite being slowed by an elbow injury earlier this season.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Panthers middle linebacker Luke Kuechly (KEEK'-lee) has returned to practice for the first time since suffering a concussion in Carolina's season-opening win against Jacksonville. Kuechly spent four weeks in the NFL's concussion protocol and missed three games before being cleared to return. The Panthers had a bye last week and travel to play Seattle on Sunday.
In other NFL news:
-- The Arizona Cardinals have confirmed the signing of veteran defensive end/outside linebacker Dwight Freeney, a seven-time Pro Bowl player and three-time first-team All Pro. The Cardinals inked the free agent after top outside pass rusher, Alex Okafor, went down with a calf injury in Sunday's 42-17 victory at Detroit. The team also placed linebacker Kenny Demens on injured reserve due to a torn ACL in Sunday's game.
-- The Buffalo Bills have signed free-agent quarterback Josh Johnson, two days after starter Tyrod Taylor was battered in a 14-13 win at Tennessee. Taylor was sacked four times and took several big open-field hits while nearly single-handedly rallying the Bills to score two touchdowns in the final 16 1/2 minutes. Bills coach Rex Ryan also revealed Monday that Taylor has been bothered by a nagging ankle injury since training camp.
-- The NFL has acknowledged an officiating error during final moments of Monday's game between the Chargers and visiting Steelers. Eighteen seconds were incorrectly run off the clock late in the fourth quarter of the Pittsburgh Steelers' 24-20 victory at the San Diego Chargers, and none of the game officials noticed the gaffe and corrected it. After the Chargers hit a go-ahead field goal with 2:56 remaining, the ensuing kickoff went for a touchback, but the clock rolled down to 2:38 instead of remaining at 2:56.
- Oxbridge Academy suffers first loss in home stadium
- Blitz After Hours: Week 1
- Atlantic blows out Wellington on opening Friday
- High School Football is here! Friday's kickoff classics
- SIGNING DAY: Harbaugh lures Atlantic's Johnson to Michigan
- SIGNING DAY: Glades Central's Seider signs with West Virginia
- SIGNING DAY: Gators get "big" recruit in Royal Palm's Johnson
- SIGNING DAY: Boynton's Jackson spurns Gators, stays true to Louisville
- SIGNING DAY: Pair of Stallions going to University of Illinois together
- SIGNING DAY: Dwyer's Davis picks Nebraska, Adams sticks with Rutgers
- SIGNING DAY: Downer, Napier, Seminole Ridge duo headline FAU's local catch
- SIGNING DAY: American Heritage champion girls headed to college
- SIGNING DAY: Park Vista's Matulis heading north to University of New Hampshire
- SIGNING DAY: Bozeman headlines stellar signing class from Suncoast
- SIGNING DAY: Gardens duo stay in-state
- SIGNING DAY: Pugh ends long Forest Hill Division 1 drought
- SIGNING DAY: South Fork's Lucky headed to Bowling Green
- SIGNING DAY: Talented group of Vero Beach Indians ink NLI
- SIGNING DAY: Cardinal Newman's Owers to take care of business at Bucknell
- SIGNING DAY: Jensen Beach's Sawtelle inks with South Florida
- Girls Hoops District Tourney: Vero Beach 58 Centennial 44
- American Heritage faces familiar foe for state championship
- Wellington gets blanked in Regional Finals at Flanagan
- St. Thomas Aquinas shuts door on Royal Palm's season
- American Heritage dominates CCC to advance to Citrus Bowl
- Indian Rocks ends Glades Day's season
- Blaze Thompson steps down as Pahokee's head coach
- Royal Palm ready to tackle titan St. Thomas Aquinas Friday
- Wellington preparing for shootout in first trip to Regional Finals
- Playoffs Week 2 Game of the Week: JCS 0 Glades Day 41
- Playoffs Week 2: Clewiston 21 Cocoa Beach 26
- Playoffs Week 2: Vero Beach 28 Manatee 47
- Playoffs Week 2: Atlantic 7 Royal Palm Beach 28
- Playoffs Week 2: American Heritage 23 Westminster Christian 7
- Playoffs Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Wellington 16
- Playoffs Week 2: Glades Central 7 Booker T. Washington 35
- Playoffs Week 1 Game of the Week: Park Vista 29 Wellington 53
- Playoffs Week 1: Chaminade 21 American Heritage 58
- Playoffs Week 1: Dade Christian 0 Glades Day 28
- Playoffs Week 1: Gulliver Prep 13 Glades Central 32
- Playoffs Week 1: Ft. Lauderdale 13 Royal Palm 44
- Playoffs Week 1: Atlantic 21 Blanche Ely 13
- Playoffs Week 1: Palm Beach Gardens 24 Palm Beach Central 20
- Week 11 Game of the Week: Glades Central 23 Pahokee 14
- Week 11: Palm Beach Central 30 Palm Beach Gardens 28
- Week 11: St. Edward's 6 Jupiter Christian 48
- Week 11: Seminole Ridge 26 Royal Palm Beach 42
- Week 11: Jupiter 12 South Fork 33
- Week 11: North Broward Prep 14 Oxbridge Academy 57
- Week 11: Okeechobee 7 Clewiston 44
- Week 11: John I. Leonard 28 Wellington 49
- Week 10 Game of the Week: Wellington 23 Palm Beach Gardens 17
- Week 10: Jupiter Christian 24 Boca Raton Christian 7
- Week 10: Dwyer 22 West Boca Raton 24
- Week 10: American Heritage 48 Cardinal Newman 3
- Week 10: Port St. Lucie 13 South Fork 28
- Week 10: Vero Beach 35 Centennial 0
- Week 10: Royal Palm Beach 42 Palm Beach Lakes 7
- Week 10: Lake Worth 14 Atlantic 33
- PREVIEW: Game Of The Week-- Wellington at Palm Beach Gardens
- Week 9 Game of the Week: Glades Day 7 Clewiston 41
- Week 9: American Heritage (Plantation) 35 American Heritage (Delray) 45
- Week 9: Spanish River 20 Palm Beach Central 40
- Week 9: Palm Beach Lakes 18 Forest Hill 19
- Week 9: West Boca Raton 7 Lake Worth 28
- Week 9: Northwestern 7 Glades Central 17
- Week 9: Boca Raton 14 Park Vista 27
- Week 9: Dwyer 26 Atlantic 37
- (PREVIEW) Game of the Week: Glades Day at Clewiston
- Palm Beach Gardens' Coney picks Notre Dame
- Week 8 Game of the Week: North Broward Prep 6 Oxbridge Academy 44
- Week 8: Palm Beach Gardens 24 Jupiter 7
- Week 8: John I. Leonard 7 Palm Beach Central 17
- Week 8: Forest Hill 6 Royal Palm Beach 35
- Week 8: Lake Worth 7 Dwyer 28
- Week 8: Benjamin 13 King's Academy 49
- Week 8: Santaluces 14 Boca Raton 27
- Week 8: Atlantic 13 West Boca Raton 0
- Week 8: Suncoast 0 Boynton Beach 42
- Week 8: Glades Day 50 Boca Raton Christian 13
- PREVIEW: North Broward Prep vs Oxbridge Academy
- Week 7: Palm Beach Gardens 20 Glades Central 40
- Week 7 Game of the Week: Atlantic 7 Royal Palm Beach 44
- Week 7: Somerset Academy 6 Glades Day 28
- Week 7: West Boca Raton 80 Olympic Heights 3
- Week 7: Dillard 12 Boynton Beach 22
- Week 7: Dwyer 33 Forest Hill 0
- Week 7: Pahokee 44 Boca Raton 27
- Game Of The Week: Atlantic at Royal Palm Beach
- Thursday Night Football: Lake Worth 27 Palm Beach Lakes 16
- Game of the Week: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6: Somerset Academy 0 Glades Central 50
- Village Academy at Boca Raton Christian (preview)
- Week 6: Seminole 24 Palm Beach Gardens 24
- Week 6: Wellington 41 Jupiter 0
- Week 6: Pahokee 14 American Heritage 51
- Week 6: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6 High School Football Blitz Preview
- Week 5 Game of the Week: Glades Day 35 John Carroll 0
- Week 5: Key West 12 Oxbridge Academy 43
- Week 5: George Jenkins 7 Vero Beach 48
- Week 5: Don Bosco Prep 41 Ft. Pierce Central 14
- Week 5: University School 21 Jupiter Christian 14
- Week 5: Palm Beach Central 28 Seminole Ridge 14
- Week 5: Royal Palm Beach 49 Lake Worth 6
- Week 5: Glades Central 41 Suncoast 6
- Week 5: Boca Raton 0 Palm Beach Gardens 31
- Week 5: Stranahan 27 Boynton Beach 54
- Week 5: Olympic Heights 0 Dwyer 53
- Friday Night Blitz Game Of The Week 5: GLADES DAY at JOHN CARROLL (Preview)
- Week 5 Blitz Top 10
- Week 4: Boynton Beach 28 Westminster Christian 10
- Week 4 Game of the Week: West Boca 7 Royal Palm 17
- Week 4: Okeechobee 28 Ft. Pierce Westwood 21
- Week 4: Dwyer 36 Palm Beach Lakes 22
- Week 4: Heritage 34 Jensen Beach 0
- Week 4: Bayside 21 South Fork 6
- Week 4: Martin County 29 Port St. Lucie 13
- Week 4: Jupiter 7 Cardinal Newman 12
- Week 4: Boca Raton 7 Palm Beach Central 14
- Week 4: Atlantic 35 Forest Hill 0
- Game Of The Week 4: West Boca at Royal Palm Beach (PREVIEW)
- District play promises to be wild in 13-7A
- Week 3: Pope John Paul II 7 Benjamin 21
- Week 3 Game of the Week: American Heritage 20 Glades Central 18
- Week 3: John I. Leonard 7 Pahokee 33
- Week 3: South Fork 36 Wellington 45
- Week 3: Moore Haven 0 Glades Day 44
- Week 3: Dwyer 34 Palm Beach Gardens 10
- Week 3: Oxbridge Academy 48 Keys Gate 17
- Week 3: West Boca Raton 37 Palm Beach Central 13
- Week 3: Clewiston 38 Cardinal Newman 20
- Game Of The Week 3: Glades Central at American Heritage
- Week 3: Village Academy 20 Boynton Beach 54
- High School Football Week 3 Preview
- Week 2: Centennial 15 South Fork 24
- Week 2: Olympic Heights 0 Spanish River 23
- Week 2: Royal Palm Beach 20 Pahokee 16
- Week 2: Village Academy 0 Glades Day 27
- Week 2: #theskinny - Boynton's Swain wants to go out on top
- Week 2 Game of the Week: Glades Central 20 Palm Beach Central 0
- Week 2: Suncoast 6 Cardinal Newman 16
- Week 2: Dwyer 41 Jupiter 7
- Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Park Vista 7
- Week 2: Clewiston 43 Immokalee 28
- Week 2: West Boca Raton 38 Wellington 14
- Week 2: Lake Worth 29 Boynton Beach 64
- Week 2: Boca Raton 7 Atlantic 34
- Week 2: Vero Beach 42 Martin County 0
- Week 1: Palm Beach Central 6 Royal Palm Beach 21
- Week 1 Game of the Week: Glades Central 12 Dwyer 7
- Week 1: South Fork 27 Martin County 6
- Week 1: Sebastian River 6 Vero Beach 35
- Week 1: Jupiter 0 Palm Beach Lakes 25
- Week 1: Miramar 14 American Heritage 7
- Week 1: John I. Leonard 0 Palm Beach Gardens 21
- Week 1: Seminole Ridge 21 Boca Raton 25
- Game of the Week Preview: Glades Central vs. Dwyer
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
AB InBev, SABMiller OK in principle to set up beer merger
BRUSSELS (AP) -- Belgian-Brazilian AB InBev have announced an agreement in principle with SABMiller to take over the brewer at about $68 a share to create the world's biggest beer giant.
RANDY QUAID, WIFE ORDERED HELD
ST. ALBANS, Vt. (AP) -- Randy Quaid and his wife remain in custody in Vermont -- where they were locked up on charges that they skipped out of the U.S.
ART EXHIBITION-VALUE OF FOOD
NEW YORK (AP) -- It looks good enough to eat.
IN THE NEWS: SOUTHWEST AIRLINES SMOOTHS TECH WRINKLES
DALLAS (AP) -- A day after technology problems delayed hundreds of Southwest Airlines flights, the carrier's ops were running more smoothly yesterday.
Tonight on CBS12
8:00 PM NCIS
9:00 PM Zoo
10:00 PM NCIS: New Orleans
11:00 PM CBS12 News at 11