Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
Story by John Evenson / CBS 12 Sports
Our first Game of the Week of the season features a match-up that is highly regarded as the best in the east against the best in the west. Both the Dwyer and Glades Central football teams are well known for consistently producing BCS and NFL stars, and there is no shortage of talent on the teams entering this season. Both teams consider anything less than a State Championship as a disappointment.
In my eyes its a good way to start the season, says Glades Central running back Jerry Jones, because in the playoffs well be playing tougher teams than this, so its a good way to get prepared.
You know theyre gonna come to play, says Glades Central head coach Roosevelt Blackmon, because theyve got a chip on their shoulders.
That chip on Dwyers shoulder in courtesy of a 44-13 Kickoff Classic loss to Miami Central this past Saturday. The Panthers were not happy about giving up 175 yards worth of penalties, and they turned over the ball too much for their liking.
We gave up plays against Miami Central, agrees Dwyer head coach Jack Daniels, two pass plays, and were not like that. We dont usually do that, but Glades Central will exploit you in the same way.
Wednesday, August 28 2013, 02:02 PM EDT
Last Update on September 02, 2014 14:51 GMT
NEW YORK (AP) -- Roger Federer looks to get back to the U.S. Open quarterfinals tonight, after his fourth round loss last year. The 17-time major champion takes on Spain's Roberto Bautista Agut in the first meeting between the two.
Women's quarterfinal play begins today, including a meeting between 10th seed Caroline Wozniacki (KEHR'-oh-lyn wohz-nee-AK'-ee) and No. 13 Sara Errani (ehr-AH'-nee) after Federer's match tonight.
The top-ranked Bryan brothers try to stay on course for their 100th doubles title when they play in the quarterfinals. Bob and Mike haven't drop a set as they try for a record 16th Grand Slam tournament title.
Serena and Venus Williams also are in doubles action.
UNDATED (AP) -- There's a top-notch pitching match-up on tap in Los Angeles tonight where the Dodgers entertain Washington in a meeting of National League division leaders.
Clayton Kershaw takes a 16-3 mark and 1.73 ERA to the mound for Los Angeles, both are tops in the majors. The Nationals go with 12-5 Doug Fister who is 0-2 with a 3.86 ERA in his last three starts. Kershaw and Fister ranked one-two in winning percentage in the National League among pitchers with at least 15 decisions.
The Pirates and Cardinals continue their key NL Central series in St. Louis tonight. The Cardinals took sole possession of first place in the division for the first time this season last night. St. Louis goes with right-hander Adam Wainwright who's in search of his 16th win of the season. He's 1-2 with a 1.61 ERA in four previous starts against Pittsburgh. The Pirates go with lefty Jeff Locke who is 6-3, but 4-0 in his last five starts.
Sliding Milwaukee will try to snap a six-game losing when they take on the Cubs tonight. The Brewers have managed just 13 runs during a skid that has dropped them a game back of St. Louis. Milwaukee is holding onto a 1 1/2 game lead over Atlanta for the last wildcard spot in the National League.
The major league-leading Angels are back in action after having Labor Day off. They open a series in Houston where interim manager Tom Lawless will make his debut for the Astros. He was named to replace the fired Bo Porter yesterday. The Angels are coming off a four-game sweep of division rival Oakland that extended their winning streak to six games and opened a five-game lead over the Athletics in the AL West.
There is a full 15-game major league schedule tonight.
VIRGINIA WATER, England (AP) -- European captain Paul McGinley has picked veterans Ian Poulter and Lee Westwood along with first-timer Stephen Gallacher as his wild-card selections for the Ryder Cup.
That left former No. 1 Luke Donald off the team after he was on the winning side in each of his four Ryder Cup appearances. But he has struggled for form this year after making changes to his swing. McGinley admitted that Donald wasn't expecting to be left off the team and was disappointed.
Gallacher's eighth top-10 finish in 2014 made him tough to pass up.
Europe will try to hold onto the Ryder Cup from Sept. 26-28 at Gleneagles, Scotland.
U.S. captain Tom Watson will name his wildcard picks tonight.
- Week 1: Palm Beach Central 6 Royal Palm Beach 21
- Week 1 Game of the Week: Glades Central 12 Dwyer 7
- Week 1: South Fork 27 Martin County 6
- Week 1: Sebastian River 6 Vero Beach 35
- Week 1: Jupiter 0 Palm Beach Lakes 25
- Week 1: Miramar 14 American Heritage 7
- Week 1: John I. Leonard 0 Palm Beach Gardens 21
- Week 1: Seminole Ridge 21 Boca Raton 25
- Game of the Week Preview: Glades Central vs. Dwyer
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
Euro weighed down by soft economic data, Ukraine
LONDON (AP) -- The euro has fallen to a near one-year low against the dollar in the wake of soft European economic data and uncertainty over the crisis in Ukraine.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
JENNIFER LAWRENCE-NUDE LEAKS
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- It is not the kind of public exposure most celebrities want.
APPLE VALLEY, Minn. (AP) -- At 31, Nikko is the old man -- of North American monkeys.
IN THE NEWS: FBI, APPLE, INVESTIGATING LEAKED CELEBRITY NUDE PHOTOS
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Both the FBI and Apple are trying to find out how nude photos of several female celebrities ended up on the Internet.
Tonight on CBS12
9 PM -- NCIS: Los Angeles
10 PM -- Person of Interest