Dos and Don'ts During the Storm
Know ahead of time what to do when a hurricane hits. Stay safe with these helpful hints.
• Stay indoors during the hurricane and away from windows and glass doors.
• Keep a battery operated radio or TV with you and keep in on an emergency information channel.
• Make sure to have at lease one working flashlight.
• Don't open any doors or windows. It's tempting to "take a look" but by all means, don't do it.
• Stay off of the phone unless it is absolutely necessary.
• Remember to turn off your propane tanks.
• Unplug all of your small appliances.
• If authorities have asked you to turn off your utilities, do so.
• Don't be fooled when the eye of the hurricane passes. It will be calm out and you may think the storm is over. THE STORM IS NOT OVER. Winds will pick back up momentarily.
• Keep an eye out for tornadoes which are commonly spawned by hurricanes. In the case of a tornado, take refuge in your safe room.
Back to the Hurricane Guide Main Page